New user needs help

Zionia

New Fish
Nov 17, 2005
Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but hopefully to stay.
I love having pets, and I owned a dog for 8 years, but since I’m in college and I live in the city I just don't have the opportunity to have another one. I thought about it, and decided to get myself a shark (which has brought me to you guys). I don't know much about fishes or what it means to own them (maintain), but I bet you it's very pleasurable and relaxing. So I came here for your advice.
What should my first steps be? What size of tank? Where is the best place to buy? ..... Any suggestions that on your opinion would help me become the owner.
And also could you please post some picture of your fishes especially sharks and tanks.
Thank You. (Anything is appreciated)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Do you mean a real shark? Even the small, inactive sharks need tanks of at least 180 gallons. You'd want to get the tank set up and cycled before adding the shark, which means you probably wouldn't get a shark in the tank for quite a while (months). Sharks are large, messy fish and need very good filtration too.

There are a few freshwater catfish and such that are named sharks because they look similar. Those are much easier to maintain-red tailed, rainbow, and black sharks only get to 6 inches or so and can be kept in a 29g tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Best thing you can do is keep doing research. A shark generally isn't the best idea for a person who's new to the hobby unless you're planning on spending a lot of time and money in making things work. You might look at the other options...there are hundreds of choices of fish...take a walk through at your local fish stores and see what types of fish really look neat to you (but dont BUY anything!)

Good luck and welcome to mft :)

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I'm bored and feeling helpful so here is a really long post. Hope it helps point you in some direction as well as get you inspired.

This probably sounds terribly geeky, but I love the whole idea of keeping a small piece of life in my home. There is the thrill of keeping a functioning biological system intact, as the science of the whole thing appeals to my linear-logical side. Picking and choosing the proper methods of maintaining the bioligical functions such as bacteria, plant needs, fish needs, choosing the best substrates, filtration systems, lighting, etc. All of these make a little bit of a scientist out of the hobbyist.

Then there is the creativity and artistry behind it. That is what appeals to the more abstract / artsy side of the personality. These things involve choosing what sort of a tank you will have, what plants, fish, decorations, etc. you will use to make the tank beautiful to look at.

Thus when you start having serious success in this hobby, you get to feel like you have a certain geeky coolness about your abilities to make this thriving little piece of life in your home. You also get to stare into it and watch the fishies do their thing.

Okay, so long post. (I'm known for them) I'll just say that the best way to get started here is to read all you can about everything. Water chemistry, fish types, plant requirements, filtration systems, etc. Then you decide how large of a tank you can afford. With this comes the plan for the types of fish and plants you'll want to keep. After that, the trick is to apply your knowledge to how you will go about making the tank that you want to have.

They say to always buy the largest tank you can afford. This is true to a point; but keep in mind that often we can afford the tank but then once we figure in the money for a stand, sufficient lighting (especially for keeping moderate to high light plants) proper amounts of substrate, rocks, driftwood, etc we find that we're not as wealthy as we thought ;) Plus larger tanks require more involved maintenance. Though smaller tanks kind be a little harder to manage due to the fact that they are less stable as far as water chemistry. They also limit our ability to have lots of fishies.

It's a general rule of thumb that long tanks are better than tall tanks. (This is arguable in cases like angelfish or discus, which are often longer than they are wide.) The long tank is best for most fish because, well....just look at a fish. They're long and that's the way that they swim: lengthwise.

If you plan to keep plants, be sure you can afford quality fluorescent type lighting. (Lighting is something to read...read...read about.) Usually lights that provide 2-4 watts per gallon can grow pretty much any easy to care for plant. Figure the price of a good lighting setup into your overall cost budget.

You'll need a proper stand. (No, the milk crates won't due here!) For ten or fifteen gallon tanks, you can probably get away with using a sturdy table. Anything larger will likely require a proper stand, and these can be more costly than you think. (But much better than the notion of a collapsed dresser and a floor full of water and dead fishies!) A worthwhile investment.

Substrate is a place of many options like the lighting factor. This is where you will exercise your knowledge and creativity to pick the one you like best. (Or you'll create your own mixtures, etc.) Then again, many people are happy with that hot pink or purple gravel. (Yuck!) But to each their own I suppose. Just know that most fish will appreciate a darker, more natural substrate.

Then there are rocks, decorations, etc. All depending on the effect you seek.

If you're choosing a tropical tank (as opposed to a cold water tank - goldish, etc.) you will need a quality heater. I personally recommend Rena Cal Basics, Ebo-Jagers, and Visi-Therms. Tropical fishies like to be in temps between 72 and 80 degrees give or take. AVOID budget cheapy heaters. I've heard enough horror stories to know how worthwhile a quality heater can be.

Learn about cycling the tank. That is a most important aspect of getting started, and will help you avoid "new tank syndrome."

...And of course the fish! Educate yourself on the different species. How they co-exist or do not co-exist. What sorts of water chemistry they prefer. How big they get and if they will live happily in the size tank you have set up.

Here is how I set up the tank I have now:

I decided I wanted to do a loose interpretation of the SE Asian blackwater biotope. What I did was read everything that I could about SE Asian water chemistry, native species, etc. I also wanted a low-maintenance sort of a tank because I'm slightly lazy.

The answer was then to pick the hardiest, easiest species of plants and fish to care for, and put them into a tank that would most likely imitate their natural environment. (with modifications of course) I chose danios, gouramis, bettas, loaches and rasboras. For plants I chose java fern, java moss, and crypts. The substrate was mainly flourite and river rock, all in dark red hues to most closely resemble the iron-rich substrates of SE Asia. I bought some Malaysian driftwood. I chose a canister filter so that I could use peat filtration in order to make my water soft and acidic, as well as give it the "blackwater" effect.

I started with a ten because it was already in my posession from when I was a kid. I maintained that setup for close to three years until last week when I finally upgraded it to a twenty gallon long. I couldn't be happier.

Of course, you will choose any type of tank you want to keep. That is the real fun of this hobby. I hope this got you thinking creatively.

Last edited: