New ... well kinda new

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
Howdy all,
Been away from Tanks for a few 16+ years,
Have been into tanks for many years before that and have owned and maintained a farly wide variaty during that time, ranging from a start with a 10g metal frame w ss hood and incandesent lights with a corner air operated filter ( an inch of charcol and 2 inch if cotton packing ) very high tech.
up to a farm of 7 10g frameless tanks still with ss hoods and incandesent light and cheapy plastic corner filters, Bred & raised Green sword tails and live plants.
From there moved up to a "huge" 30g, was living large then. All the 10g's are now gone, and added a 55g to the collection, and first foray into Marine, Then the ultimate, a local McD's remodeled and a year after that i bought the 300g they used to have, Finally had to sell all the "tank' and one year later a pwer outage wiped out the 30g and 55g in 91 sold it all out, and have been tankless ever since, have mentioned it a few times over the years, but never done anything about it.

And this year the Wife buy's me a brand new 55g, and unbeknownst to me my daughter who is in the Army and currently stationed in Iraq, gets the same Idea, and Both tanks show up two days before Xmas, One Via FedEx, One Via UPS, A 55g glass rect, and a 50g Corner pentagon.

Long and short of all this, Am kinda a noob again ( it has been a while ) and some things have changed, so kinda bear with me if i ask questions that all might expect a newer person should know, while still knowing just a a touch more than the basics.

Biggest changes i see are in Plastic Tanks ( 50g corner), big changes in lighting and filters, Bio balls, and canister filters, T5's and metal Halide lights, Lunar lighting etc, thats all new stuff to me

most everything else seems the same, just more updated.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site! :D

Some of the biggest changes have been to filtration and lighting. Also, because of better lighting, planted tanks are more popular now. Because of increased understanding of saltwater environments, corals are now possible to keep long-term.

On the other hand, high-tech planted and saltwater tanks can't be considered a "cheap" pet or hobby.

I have a bunch of those worthless corner filters in my garage. I wouldn't put them anywhere near a fish tank. :)