Newb filter Question

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
Okay, I'm changing from an under-gravel filter to an internal wall filter thing.

Its a dolphin F1200.

Is it big enough for mu tank, which is about 90cmx45cm base and 60cm height?

and how do I use it? Do I submerge the whole thing, including part of the wire so the water jet is underwater, or do I leave that part above water?..then its all splashy though.

please help!

simplyfish

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2008
Sorry to hijack this.

Quick filter question - I rinse my filter sponge when I do a water change and remove a lot of the gunk from it. I rinse it in the water from the tank so not killing it completely but I have just been wondering if I should leave the sponge alone a bit more as this 'Gunk' is all the bacterias etc I want.

Has anyone any advice on this, my levels are generally fine, though Ammonia does tend to be a little high sometimes. My Tank was never cycled properly as I wasn't aware of this before I bought it, but has been running for about two months now and my fish seem quite happy in there.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
A lot of the 'gunk' is good bacteria.

I ohnly rince my filter once a month personally or if I notice that the water quality has dipped.

simplyfish

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks for that, on a similar line, the gravel picks up plenty of detritus - poop food scraps, bits of plant etc, would it be a good idea to mix this up to release it in to the water so it could be filtered out, should it just be left, or should i hoover it up?

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
lol, thread hijacker! (nah I'm kidding, good question, it helped me too)

well when I do a water change I have this gravel cleaner tool that gets rid of a lot of the gunk on/in the gravel. get one, they are cheap and helpful. its really just a larger cylinder attached to a pipe. It works wonders