Newbe - your opinion

Sep 24, 2006
MA
Been doing the freshwater thing for a while, African Cichlids lately. Working on setting up mt first saltwater tank, a 90g FOWLR. Below is what I was thinking for stocking..let me know your opinions (Getting along, too many,etc):

Foxface Rabbit
Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Percula Clown (Poss. Pair)
Black Cap Basslet
Yellow Watchman Goby
Cleaner Shrimp
Hermit Crabs

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I Wouldnt put the coral beauty and the flame together for aggresion reasons from the flame towards the coral beauty.

other than that it looks good.

Have you gotten the tank setup? been doing research and such? Saltwater is very rewarding and you will really love it if you dedicate time to it.

Sep 24, 2006
MA
Been doing quite a bit of research and have a great local fish store that knows thier stuff. I knew it wasn't recommended to have the 2 pygmy angels together unless your tank was a certain size..thought 90 was large enough.

Thanks!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
also, what about adding a pistol shrimp to pair up with your watchman? They could and often form a symbiotic relationship that is cool to watch. Make sure though you have a nice deep sand bed for them to play in though. The angels may be okay get them small enough and you may be lucky.

Sep 24, 2006
MA
I'll have to decide if I want to take a chance. Being new, I would like to make it as easy as possible until I'm comfortable. Absolutely on the piston shrimp. I've also been throwing around the idea of an Anenome for the clown (or clowns), but have read conflicting information on just how difficult they are to keep. Any thoughts? Any concern with a Foxface or Butterfly fish and the Anenome?

Thanks

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They are downright hard - a butterfly might also consider them food. There are a bunch of problems round keeping anemonaes unless you eith get a very large tank, or really decide to devote the display to the things.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
try a coral such as frogspawn. My clownfish host in it and one is hosting in my candycane......go figure. They will host in just about anything.

Sep 24, 2006
MA
I was looking at those online, but have not seen any in the local fish stores. The 2 I really liked was the Painted Fairy and Lineatus Fairy Wrasse. I've heard mixed reviews on the 6-Line...might be a bit aggresive.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The six line isn't really a fairy wrasse. They aren't all that common in the stores which is kind of sad, because they do really well and are perfect reef (or fish only) fish.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have a 6line in my 75g and he is a perfect gentleman. An active swimmer all over the place, no hiding at all and just picks at the rock, eats well and a model citizen.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mine is the antichrist, and has pesterd a few damsels, anthias and other such to the point they need to be removed or die. Pretty though. Some of the captive bred dottybacks are very nice, and as they're usually derived from the more peaceful redsea dottys, and then captive bred anyway, they're not too aggressive. The more common indo pac dotties can be pretty hellish. Liveaquaria have them if your local lfs is too lazy to order them.