Newbie, about to buy: 20 gallon, etc.?

Jun 26, 2006
Hi:
I am a newbie and I am planning to setup a 20 gallon freshwater. never really had fish before, except a little goldfish bowl when i was a kid (the fish always jumped out, and/or died). no filter, etc.

I am intrigued by the acrylic aquariums. 20 gallon seems like a good size to start out, not too big, not too small.

I thought I would buy the tank, filter, gravel, 1 live plant, the rest fake, get it setup and then add fish later.

Any thoughts on petco's Seaclear aquarium and Marineland filters (I want the best filter, something that will do the best job cleaning tank, money is not a factor).

Here are links to the aquarium and filter:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_1014_PC_productlist_Nao_24_Nav_222_N_24%20112_cp_3_sku_543632_familyID_5581.aspx?Ns=P_Price|1
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_6620_PC_productlist_Nav_217_N_24%20115_sku_897710_familyID_11533.aspx

thanks for help!!!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Sounds like you're off to a good start. I've never heard of seaclear, but marinelands are supposed to be good. Be careful not to scratch the acryllic since it scratches more easily than glass. Also, live plants are excellent, but make sure to get one that is low light unless you want to upgrade the lighting.

Check out the stickies on cycling: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31669
Fishless cycling will save you a lot of hard work and fishy deaths later on. Or, you can go with biospira since you say that money isn't an issue.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
For a filter (and since you say money is not a factor), for excellent filtration you could go with canister filters such as Fluval, Eheim, and Magnum (Marineland) filters.

I have a Magnum 350 on my 29 gallon, and I think it's the best filter for that price ($75 at petco.com). Within 3 days of setting up my filter, my water was crystal clear. I personally love it, and the filter floss is super easy to clean, and it comes with a water polishing cartridge (to make water clear).

Jun 26, 2006
thanks a lot for the responses.
The magnum 350 and Fluval are interesting.

I think I should start off with a 20 gallon tank to get my "feet wet" before trying to tackle a big tank. Therefore, would the magnum 350 be over filtering (if there is even such a thing)??

I noticed the Fluval comes in several variations (205, 305, and 405), maybe depending on size.

Overall, I want as little maintenance as possible (recognizing that having a fish tank will take time to setup and maintain-I understand it takes commitment), but I just want to do it right to start, and get a really good filter (i am guessing the filter could be the most important aspect of a good aquarium, that and maintaining a good water reading).

thanks.

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Well, the odd thing is that a larger tank is actually easier to take care of than a small one- I would definitely go bigger than a 20 if you can afford it.
The larger the tank, the more resistant it is to pH and temp changes, as more forgiving if you overstock or overfeed which are common newbie mistakes. (I've done both!)

Another hint- get a very fine gravel, its a lot easier to keep clean. And don't forget a heater if you're going to have tropical fish- I didn't see that in your list.

Please make sure you carefully read the sticky on cycling- its a MUST. And buy a test kit first thing, one of the test tube ones, not strips. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit is and excellent choice. This will be one of your most important investments, especially in the beginning.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Submariner said:
Well, the odd thing is that a larger tank is actually easier to take care of than a small one.....
I was just gonna say that until I scrolled down and saw your post!! :p Submariner is right. The larger the tank the more water you have and there fore the more it will take to "ruin" your tank. If you have the money then I strongly advise getting a larger tank.

Jun 26, 2006

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Quick question for ya, Are you just looking on the wesite or are you looking at the store itself??? Cause the website carries different stuff than the store. The website is where they start products out. I know this cause I worked at a Petco before.

Jun 26, 2006
guppy_newbe said:
Quick question for ya, Are you just looking on the wesite or are you looking at the store itself??? Cause the website carries different stuff than the store. The website is where they start products out. I know this cause I worked at a Petco before.
I am looking at their Web site. Last night I went to my local Petco and the store manager told me that his store (and probably all others in my area) do not carry the acrylic fish tanks in the store (it has to be ordered online). Shipping on the tank is about 20 bucks, not too bad I guess.

Also, the salesman was highly recommending an Eheim cannister filter, any thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JEK1E/sr=1-20/qid=1151494633/ref=sr_1_20/104-4133327-2331902?ie=UTF8&m=A9P1KZBSDQIPK&s=home-garden

Thanks.

ThePrep95

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
I just got my first aq. a few months ago, and I also initially got a 20 gallon to "get my feet wet" also thinking, no way I need anything bigger I won't get that into it. Well, I was wrong. The 20 went back for a 29, and now I also have a 44. When I settle down in a few years I will get rid of the 29 for a 125. And the bigger they are, they easier they are to take care of, this is true. So, 29 should be fine,but you could probably get a much better looking 40-50 gallon tank that would last you longer and be more fun in the long run.

From a newbie to a newer newbie, if I could go back, I would have got something bigger then the 29, like a 55. But then again, the 29 has been good to me and it did get my feet wet. Def. better then a 20, forget that idea with a quickness

Jun 26, 2006
continuing to look (and up size?). As always, thanks for the continued help....

side question, with freshwater aq, do I need to get a protein skimmer? I read no.

How about this:*DRUMMER*

SEA93043 SeaClear System 2 Aquarium Kit, 40 Regular, Cobalt Blue

Acrylic Seaclear System II All In One Aquariums

Complete and ready to run! Just add gravel, water, and fish.
System-II has a true Wet/Dry Biological Filtrations System built into the back of the aquarium.

Includes chambers that accommodate biological, mechanical, and chemical filter media.
Space for heater and optional Explore Protein Skimmer.
Unique molded Turbulence Manifold allows for excellent circulation throughout the entire aquarium.
Good for both fresh and saltwater hobby.
No outside plumbing or noise.
A fraction of the price of an aquarium and separate filter system. (SeaClear aquariums come with a full hood and fluorescent fixture installed, so remember to add in the cost of the hood and light fixture when comparing glass and acrylic pricing.)
Set-up and ready to run.
System II pre-plumbed aquariums come in several models:
26 gal Flat Back Hexagon has 5-sided viewing area in front, hidden filter in back.
30 gallon Show Rectangular has tall viewing area.
40 & 50 Gal Regular aquariums are impressive and large.
Limited lifetime warranty against leakage due to materials and workmanship.
Tanks include a hood with installed and UL Standard 1018 electrically approved 24" fluorescent light fixture - the acknowledgement of superior safety in the aquarium industry.

Sizes:
26 Flatback 36" x 12" x 16"H
30 Show 36" x 12" x 16"H
40 Reg 36" x 15" x 16"H
50 Reg 36" x 15" x 20"H

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2006
i would definatly go bigger. i also started with a 20gal and now i have a 75 which i paid $300 for tank, stand, filter and heaters. look around, there might be a better deal out there at another pet shop. also the shops i go to if you buy more items the more you actually get. mine take either money off or give vouchers for things, with my 75gal i was given a $100 voucher for there store.
so look around at other options also.