NEWBIE HELP

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
What is the best protien skimmer for a 30 gallon tank? I'm going to cycle the tank with 1 blue damsel 1 crab and i'm willing to put one other thing. What should it be?
Is live sand better than crushed up coral? How much salt do I put in? Is a blue triggerfish going to be OK when the tank has cycled? How big do they grow? Thanks in advance for the information!!:D

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
I wouldnt recommend any skimmers in the cheap catagory. but the seaclone or the red/sea ones will suffice. I'd just skip the skimmer.

I always prefer live sand!!

Get the ocean water from your LFS. or if you mix your own than read the instructions on the salt package, and dont ask us. :)

I personally feel that a trigger needs a bigger tank than a 30.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Triggers get too big for a 30g and very mean also.....won't take long for the fish to start killing any other fish in the same small tank, and don't forget that crabs, snails and shrimp will be on the menu too.

Blue damsels can be quite mean as well. To be honest, I wouldn't cycle the tank with anything alive, just toss in a piece of raw shrimp in the tank and let it do it's thing. Not only does it save the life of the fish, but it will save you the frustration of catching the damsel when the cycle is finished. Because catch it is what you will have to do if you put the blue damsel in first! They are very territorial and will claim the whole tank. Woe to any fish that you put in there with damsel already in residence. If you really want to have a blue devil damsel (and don't get me wrong, cause I love damsels) you will need to figure out what fish you can have in there with it, one that will be able to deal with the damsel and more than likely put the other fish in the tank first, give it time to get accustomed to the tank, like a week or so, then add the damsel. The only exceptions to this advice would be fish that can hold their own against the damsel, like some of the dottybacks, even bigger, meaner damsels, or a dwarf lionfish (which damsels won't mess with!). What kind of fish did you have in mind? Is this going to be strictly a fish only tank, or do you want to have inverts and corals?

I'll second the live sand suggestion......oh and if you are going to keep ANY kind of inverts, it's best to keep your tank at a salinity of 1.025 or very close to it.

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
I don't mind coral if it will work. What animals besides shrimp can I cycle the tank with? I want to put something interesting! What fish can i put in the tank after it has cycled? I'll get rid of the cycling fish if nessacery.

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
I would definitely recommend you buy a protein skimmer. It will help reduce the effects of any mistakes you may make. I would recommend in order of both performance and price;

1) Aqua C Remora
2) CPR Bak Pak
3) Red Sea Prizm

Brian

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I would use a skimmer. I have a CPR BakII on my 20 MiniReef. If you plan on going to a bigger tank, then definitely get a skimmer. You will also learn how to use and tune it also. Price is what is a cost factor though. You will have to change water more often without skimmer. You can either buy seawater from LFS, or mix it with RO or Distilled water to prevent nuisance algae. Live sand and Rock are usually your best bet, but more money. Either you spend money now for rock/sand, or later for more frequent water changes.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A blue trigger will get about as big as your tank! Don't bother cycling with the damsels. Wait till it's cycled, then think about putting in something interesting. Patience is your friend here.