Newbie Just inherited a 6g Nano Cube

Sep 6, 2005
I was just passed down a 6g Nano Cube with no instructions and I have never handled fish in my life. I just slapped in 6 Gallons of water, some rocks I bought from Walmart, and a small Koi Fish with two Ryukin as fish buddies. I turned on the pump and the light but it looks like my fish are swirling like Dorothy in the wizard of OZ when she was in the tornado. What am I doing wrong? :rolleyes:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
first off that koi is a no no. those get way to big no matter wat any one at the walmart says. second i suggest you get some snad and let it cucle with a filter and heater instaled. sorry if im being a little harsh but you will need to take the fish back. if you want i can help you through the steps tomorow. the cube can become an under wate rjungle if you try.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
YIKES!!!!!!

1. Did you condition the water? The chemicals that municipal water systems put into tap water are LETHAL FOR YOUR FISH.

2. Koi and GOLDFISH IN SIX GALLONS???? You are killing them.
Koi need at least 30-50 gal..if not a pond. Ryukins need 10 gal EACH. AT LEAST.

3. Did you cycle your tank? If not, your ammonia, NO2 and NO3 are going to shoot through the roof, and KILL YOUR FISH.

4. RETURN THE FISH. they are too large for that small of a tank.

5. Part of me thinks that you posted that for the sheer fact of ruffling ALL of our feathers.

6. RETURN THE FISH RETURN THE FISH RETURN THE FISH!!! I cannot say that enough!!
get a few...FEW...neons instead...or a FEW tetras. (NO MORE THAN 4 or 5).

7. Get a freshwater testing kit.

8. Get a thermometer

9. Get a gravel vaccuum.

10. Get water conditioner.

and lastly...DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PUT SOMETHING IN THAT TANK.

Last edited:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i dont think he did it to anger us, or did he? return the fish asap. walmarts are open 24/7! i wouldnt even get neons right now. do a fishless cycle!

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
i dunno.

although, i am in one of those 'moods'...... ignorance/just not knowing will set me off tonight. lol....

fishless cycling. good idea. i've never tried it....so i wouldn't reccomend something i've never done myself.

;)

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks for the Replies

*GOLDFISH* I did read the sticky and cycled the tank as instructed, before I put the fishes in and I used fresh drinking water. As for the chemical levels I'm monitoring it. I just didn't know about how much space they needed. As for the Koi, there's a local Japanese garden Koi pond that I'm pretty sure I can donate it to. But I'm just gunna get a 20 gallon tank for the Ryukin. Thanks for the advice.

Sep 6, 2005
Nothing

I am probably gunna use it as a paper weight until I can figure out how to grow plants in it. Other than that I'm looking in to a 55 gallon tank for the Ryukin Fish. *PEACE!*