Newbie - My fish stay by my filter!

May 4, 2009
I'm totally new to keeping fish, we have a fantail and two yellow goldfish. One of the goldfish and the fantail stay right next to the filter, they never used to, only the last few weeks. But my worry is that we were treating a fantail for white spot last week, but it has since died. I just wondered if this might have something to do with it? Or does my filter cartridge need changing? Any help much appreciated.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Add some aquarium salt, it's a miracle maker! Fish in the wild always have natural deposits of salt in the rivers or lakes they live in, and salt is really helpful. Once I had 5+ goldfish, and my black moor died of ich. (even though we treated poor little shadow :( *sniff* ) and then another of my fish ("Speckle" some calico goldfish...) was STUCK to the filter, he was so weak the filter sucked him right up to it. We had to turn the filter off, but, poor little Speckle died anyways. I know this is discouraging, and probably is just coincidence. I, personally try to change my filter every time (or every other time) I clean my tank. I would definitely go to the pet shop you bought those fish, and seek professional help! (not that ya don't get it here LOL!!) Good luck with you fishy friends!!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2008
In addition to what unwritten said, I wanted to interject that it's actually not necessary to change the filter, and every time you change it you're actually losing beneficial bacteria. I just swish mine around in tank water during the water change and only replace them when they're falling apart. That seems to be how most of us do it. Also, many on here advocate not using salt except as a medicinal thing. I'm not sure where I personally stand on it, but anytime someone says you should absolutely do this or that it makes me nervous.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think this likely sounds like an ammonia poisoning situation. Like others asked above, what size tank is this and how many goldfish do you have in it? Take a look at the cycling stickies or the link below and make sure you know what cycling is, ammonia is a silent and invisible killer.