Newbie question: Dark red cloudy water from fluorite dust

zook

New Fish
Aug 28, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am a complete fishtank rookie, setting up a 37 gallon tank for the first time. I got red fluorite and gave it what I thought was an appropriate washing, but apparently I didn't realize what I was dealing with. After putting the fluorite in the tank, and filling it with water, the water is completely opaque, clouded with red fluorite dust. There are no plants or (obviously) fish in the tank yet, but I do have a filter set up and running. I've asked a couple of different people how to deal with this and gotten totally different suggestions. My questions are:

1) Is this a lost cause? Do I need to drain the tank, take out the fluorite and re-wash it? I would like to avoid doing this only because of how much of a pain it will be, but if its what needs to be done of course I will do it.
2) Some have suggested that it will take care of itself naturally? I have the filter running but it doesn't seem, after about 18 hours, to be doing much to filter the red out of the water.
3) At the store they said I needed a gravel vacuum and an additive that would bind the dust particles together and make them large enough to be caught by the filter. A fellow customer told me that that advice was nonsense, and that this was a common problem that will sort itself out with time.

Has anyone dealt with this rookie mistake before? Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am brand new to the forum, so please forgive me if this has been covered before. My searches didn't turn anything up.

Thanks for your help!

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
When I added my eco-complete to a new tank, it was cloudy for a few days too. I suggest waiting a week or so and seeing what settles out. Then do a water change and refill it in a way that will not stir up the bottom.

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
consider your knowlegeable, I put florite in my tank and did not wash it at all! I just plain forgot to do it. Yes, it did clear up and I did not take it out to rewash. It did settle down after awhile so I could vacuume it up with water changes and the filter did a good job removing the silt (I washed the floss dayly) but it took a good two weeks.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I have flourite in one of my tanks...the dust will eventually settle and you'll get rid of a lot of it when you do your big water change before adding your new fish. :)

It will settle out eventually. I just set up a twenty long and didn't have the capability to wash my flourite so I just put it straight into the tank. I ran two filters and washed the sponges/floss daily to clear out the dirt.

The secret to not having cloudy water when you use flourite is to rinse it very well then set it out to dry. Once the Flourite is completely dry, fill the tank slowly without disturbing the substrate too much. THe initialy cloudiness will then disappear in about 24 hours or less, versus two or three days. I've used that method a lot and never had a problem.