Newbie Question (s)

Oct 6, 2007
Cali
OK so IV read though all or most of the Stickies and have done some researching with allots more to do. I plan on have a 60-70G tank. Most likely a bow (just like the way it looks but we'll see what happens.) Type or types of fish will be Carnivores. Live stock will be in no earlier than March. You need time to prepare, I look at it as painting why would you paint a car with a wrecked or dented body? You wouldn't.

What I understand is, sand to fill the base of the tank maybe 1-2in, for a 6-70G tank 70-80 lbs of live rock, and I can pick them up cured as I plan on waiting a while to add LS. The LR doesn’t need to be quarantined as there going into a fresh environment with out LS, pumps to move at least 1800GPH, Protein skimmers, heater, lights, & other misc. Eqt. Testing PH, salt, temp, nitrates, nitrites, & ammonia on an every other day basis.

Seeing as it will be 6 months to introduce LS can regular tap water be used and treated before hand instead of RO water? Also regarding water changes, the information is kind of sketchy. You replace 20-25% weekly? Also what’s the process of removing and adding water?

This is my first attempt at a SW environment and I want to make good use of it. Is there anything I left out or am forgetting?

Thanks.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
first theres no need to wait 6 months to add livestock usually around a month tops testing the water is the only way to tell for sure..... on using tap water youll no doubt end up fighting all differant algae's right from the begining wich i wouldnt recomend....on the water changes it really depend how many fish,how good of a protien skimmer you have,ect... typically 25% every other week has worked well for me... i buy my saltwater pre-mixed from an lfs to make it a little easier and i simply remove x amount and replace that same amount

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You have the basics but if adding sand you either want a deep sand bed or very little sand at all. If you go in between you will need to manually keep it clean, deep enough and you only turn over the top 1-2 inches and the other 4 or so create a denitrifying area that is a working part of the tank. This is a good article on substrates.

DeepSandBeds

this is a great research site....

WetWebMedia-Marine Aquarium Articles and FAQ's

I agree with Tre, use RO water to aleviate any algae issues down the road. Once you get the handle of maintaining your tank you may want to test out your local water for various things....silcates, phosphates, copper etc which are removed during the ro process.

Remember to use plain ro water for topping off for evaporation this is not saltwater as the water evaporates but the salt doesn't.....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
most of the equipment thats listed is not only over priced but also not very useful aside from the tanks them selves..... i belive for my 55g i paid $99 for the tank and $99 for the stand brand new at petsmart so you should look around first

Oct 6, 2007
Cali
When I get out of work today I will take a look. But im really lookign for a solid stand some like wood. I am also thinking of going to FW, i have no experience what so ever in this field, and FW is the starting point I believe.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well for starters you can go to the local grocery and buy r/o water for about 25 cents a gallon which I did for a long time buying 15g at a time. That was okay but then I bit the bullet and bought my own ro filter and make my own. When I originally filled my tank I went to the local water store (like culligan) and bought 15 5 gallon jugs which I returned empty for credit.

You want to make sure that any tank you buy has never been treated with copper as those tanks were all f/w. My personal fav is the 95 wave....the one in the picture the 80 g the stand would need to be reworked to house a sump/fuge later one...

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You're not planning on doing a reef, right? From my experience, as long as you don't have heavy metals or seriously high nitrates from the tap, tap water works fine for a non-reef tank. Especially if you've got a protein skimmer. Granted my lights are crap, but I have hardly any algae at all, and nothing that's unsightly.

I'm not sure if that's helpful or hindering, just my experiences.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yeah, that's definitely a little pricey. If it were an Oceanic bowfront with an overflow, it would be a reasonable deal.

IMO, the chain stores don't have the best tanks. Try an independent LFS for nicer stuff and other options.

For used stuff, try the Southern California Reefers forum on ReefCentral.com there are always people selling tanks and equipment.