Newbie question

Feb 18, 2006
Kansas City, Mo
I just got a 55gallon tank from a friend at work and i'm gathering all the stuff together to get it up and running. I have a question though, in the first couple weeks when i'm going to have to do 20% or more water changes, whats the best way to treat the water before i put it into my tank. A 20% water change is 11 gallons and that would be a huge container. I was thinking about a couple big 5 or 10 gallon unused gas tanks or something but i'm sure theres got to be a better way. Also how long after putting the water dechlorinater in does it take effect?

i run the bathtub on the right temperature and then put a five gallon tub in there and fill it and then add the dechlor. i bought the kind that says works instantly though. then i just put it right into the tank. get a 5 gallon bucket, not a ten! trust me, lifting a 5 is torture! i dont think even my dad could do a ten.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You could look into Pythons too... you just hook them up to the sink faucet and they drain and fill the tank without buckets. I've heard that you just add the dechlorinator to the stream of water as it goes into the tank... not sure on that though.

Otherwise, I do the buckets thing too... I have a 2g bucket, makes for lots of trips up and down the stairs. Dechlorinator does work instantly.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Just think of it this way...all that extra work with filling and carrying those buckets of water will pay off in the end---when you are rewarded with a nice big, clean fish tank!

If I had a choice between carrying around 80 lbs. of water every week for a 55 gallon tank or carrying only about 20 lbs. for my piddly little 12 gallon setup, I'd choose the first option in a heartbeat!

Big Vine

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I go for the "dont carry water" option :) I sprung for a python, best $25 I ever spent (I think it was about $25) It works to both empty and fill the tanks up...and Capslock is correct, before you start filling just squirt your dechlor in the python or in the water where you're going to start filling and go. You really need to make sure you have a good handle on temperature thought...you dont want to go shooting really hot or really cold water into your tank.

Before I had the python though, I used the 2g bucket method...just treated one bucket at a time. I'd count how many I took out, put the same amount back in...you just need to put your dechlor in (usually you can figure out if its like 10 drops per bucket or two drops per gallon etc) and then fill the bucket up with the correct temperature and carry and dump in tank. I would not suggest a 5 gallon bucket...personally I'm not strong enough to lift it up high enough to get back into the tank!!

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
I used to do the 5 gallon bucket method for several years on my 55 gallon. I would just fill it up in the kitchen sink. but once I got my 135 after several months with 8-10 buckets I was done and got a python. On my what can I say makes things much easier. It can be quicker but I dont run the water after it starts the syphon(end of hose must be lower then the tank. I put it in my bathtub, low to the ground and you dont have to worry about it over flowing like a sink)

Yahoofishkeeper: They sell them in 25' 50' 75' and 100' at bigalsonline.com pretty good prices. I bought the 50' for like 40 bucks so I think it was a good deal.

You think carry 5 gallon bucket of water is tough. In water polo we had to fill and hold the 5 gallon drinking water jugs over our heads while treading water. now that sucked

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
That works...as long as you can lift 40 lbs above your shoulder (or above tank height to pour). The difference two gallon bucket and the 5 gallon bucket can be the difference between wrenching your back and getting that nice exercise...