Newbie Questions

Apr 25, 2006
Got some questions about my rainbow shark.

1st) What fish are compatible with rainbow sharks? I've read that barbs, gourmis, cichlids, and loaches are a good choice. Is there any others that are good. My rainbow shark is around 4 inches long, almost full size.

2nd) Are ghost shrimp ok to keep with rainbow sharks?

3rd) Can I have a betta with my rainbow shark? I contacted Drs. Foster & Smith @ LiveAquaria.com and they told me I could do this with caution.

4th) My rainbow shark is rubbing his sides on the inside of the log I got for him and rubbing on the gravel when he is swimming about. There does not seem to be any sign of sickness or disease. He does not have any white spots on his body or any fungus around the gills. He has done this most of the time that I have had him, which it has been almost 2 months. Any reason as to why he does this?

That is all for now!

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
TheSharkKeeper said:
Got some questions about my rainbow shark.

1st) What fish are compatible with rainbow sharks? I've read that barbs, gourmis, cichlids, and loaches are a good choice. Is there any others that are good. My rainbow shark is around 4 inches long, almost full size.

2nd) Are ghost shrimp ok to keep with rainbow sharks?

3rd) Can I have a betta with my rainbow shark? I contacted Drs. Foster & Smith @ LiveAquaria.com and they told me I could do this with caution.

4th) My rainbow shark is rubbing his sides on the inside of the log I got for him and rubbing on the gravel when he is swimming about. There does not seem to be any sign of sickness or disease. He does not have any white spots on his body or any fungus around the gills. He has done this most of the time that I have had him, which it has been almost 2 months. Any reason as to why he does this?

That is all for now!

Not sure about the rubbing thing, but yes, a Betta should be fine with your minnow.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
What size tank do you have? That will help determine a lot as to your choice of tankmates for your shark.

I have never owned one, but I'd be very, very careful about putting a betta in with one. The only bettas I've owned have been angry, vicious fish that would never tolerate tankmates, although many others have had very different experiences. Also, I've heard that rainbow sharks can be aggressive, and I'd be worried about what one could do to the lovely fins of a betta. I'd also advise against putting loaches in with one, as both are territorial bottom-dwellers, and can be mean. Fights could result. (Better to be safe than sorry, IMO).

What are your tank parameters? Generally, "rubbing", also called "flashing" is a sign of distress. If you've had the fish for two whole months, then the tank is probably cycled by now, but I'm thinking that minor ammonia/nitrite poisoning is probably causing this. How often are you doing water changes?

Oh, and have you read the beginner's stickys? They are quite helpful.

Apr 25, 2006
Salty Fishes said:
What size tank do you have? That will help determine a lot as to your choice of tankmates for your shark.

I have never owned one, but I'd be very, very careful about putting a betta in with one. The only bettas I've owned have been angry, vicious fish that would never tolerate tankmates, although many others have had very different experiences. Also, I've heard that rainbow sharks can be aggressive, and I'd be worried about what one could do to the lovely fins of a betta. I'd also advise against putting loaches in with one, as both are territorial bottom-dwellers, and can be mean. Fights could result. (Better to be safe than sorry, IMO).

What are your tank parameters? Generally, "rubbing", also called "flashing" is a sign of distress. If you've had the fish for two whole months, then the tank is probably cycled by now, but I'm thinking that minor ammonia/nitrite poisoning is probably causing this. How often are you doing water changes?

Oh, and have you read the beginner's stickys? They are quite helpful.

I have a 10 gallon tank (I know, it is too small for a rainbow shark. I am trying to save up to get a bigger tank) I am only wanting 2 more fish for now untill I do get a new tank.

I do water changes every 2 weeks.

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
I have a rainbow shark, and he is quite an aggressive little guy! He is very territorial and will chase fish away from his hiding spot. I had some long finned serpaes and black skirts with him, and he would chase them and nip them...causing raggedy fins. He also bothered my cories since they were always rooting around near his tank : (

Since rainbow sharks are so territorial, I would steer clear of any slower-moving fish. I have danios with him now, and he can't catch them since they are so fast. This has proved to be a pretty good combo. I would not do the betta thing. I stuck him in with one of my mom's bettas, and the betta actually flared his gills at him and chased him. (I was expecting the shark to nip his fins first!)

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
If you have a 4" fish in a 10 gallon tank . you don't need to put anything else in there. Really (as you said) you need to get it out of there and put it in a bigger tank (Upwards of 30 gallon and the bigger the better) Most sharks (but not all of them) are not too aggressive against other fish. And most bettas (But by no means all) are quite tolerant (Often the aggression that they are famous for has been bread out, and it is mainly against their own species anyway). But if either are a bit "pushy" you could have fireworks .
shrimp will co-exist with anything that won't eat them (Including rainbow sharks).
All fish have a scratch now and then, so as long as it is not all the time and there are no other symptoms you should be O.K. If you do get the bigger tank you may find that it will stop alltogether. Water changes should be done once or twice a week, it is about the only effective means of removing nitrAtes, it also refreshes the water and helps out the filters (About 20 - 25% is normal).

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You should test your water for ammonia and nitrites. If you don't have test kits, let the local fish store test it for you, and make sure they give you the results in numbers, not just "fine". If your ammonia and nitrites are both zero, then maybe your fish has parasites. Fish with parasites of one sort or another will sometimes rub up against things to try and get some relief.

Apr 25, 2006
well thanks for the info every one, I think I'll just plan on getting a bigger tank before I do anything else. I think I might know what my problem is. When I do water changes I use a small hose to siphone out the water and waste that sits on top of the gravel. I guess I should have bought a gravel cleaner. So that's a big "DUH" on my part. But I guess that's part of being a newbie to fish keeping.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey we all have to start somewhere :) I think its probably a smart move to get a bigger tank before doing other stuff. Keep us posted! Hey dont forget to check out www.craigslist.com for your area, sometimes you can find really great deals on tank setups.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Just for the heck of it, why don't you run a water sample down to the local fish store... It can't hurt... shouldn't cost a dime... and it might help you save a fish, if it shows that you have ammonia and nitrites. Cuz if you do, a water change will help. Plus, you can browse the bigger tanks while you're there and start thinking about a stocking plan for when you get the tank you want. :)

Apr 25, 2006
homebunnyj said:
Just for the heck of it, why don't you run a water sample down to the local fish store... It can't hurt... shouldn't cost a dime... and it might help you save a fish, if it shows that you have ammonia and nitrites. Cuz if you do, a water change will help. Plus, you can browse the bigger tanks while you're there and start thinking about a stocking plan for when you get the tank you want. :)

The nearest pet store in my area is about 20-25 miles away. Yeah it will cost me a tank of gas...LOL! I could do that the next time I go though. I have done a water change no more than 2 days ago. I found a 29 gallon starter kit for like $99.78 at a walmart store. Maybe I can find a kit cheaper some where else.

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
TheSharkKeeper said:
I was not aware that a rainbow shark was a minnow!

Sorry to be the one with the bad news:eek: Stores have put the word "Shark" on them because they sell faster and they kind of look like sharks. Not even close, not even the same family.

I was upset also when I learned this so dont feel that bad. if you want a real cool aggresive fish, buy an Oscar!!!! They get BIG and will eat anything!! They always rule the tank. It takes alot to bully an Oscar, and be sure to get your fingers out of the way during feeding!!

Apr 25, 2006
JAWS69 said:
Sorry to be the one with the bad news:eek: Stores have put the word "Shark" on them because they sell faster and they kind of look like sharks. Not even close, not even the same family.

I was upset also when I learned this so dont feel that bad. if you want a real cool aggresive fish, buy an Oscar!!!! They get BIG and will eat anything!! They always rule the tank. It takes alot to bully an Oscar, and be sure to get your fingers out of the way during feeding!!

I know that it is not a real shark, rainbow sharks come from the Cyprinidae family. Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, the "so called" freshwater sharks, and Bitterlings also come from the same family. And I am sure there are more.

Also I've studied sharks when I was a kid and know quite a bit. But thanks for the reminder! *thumbsups

Last edited: