Newbie requesting help planning my first SW

djmb913

New Fish
Oct 21, 2005
I'm planning a 29 gal. SW setup on a small budget. I want to use the Tetra Tec 300 power filter w/ the external heater. I figure I can kill 3 birds with one stone by having a triple filter, heater and it has a strong output so I wouldn't need a powerhead. Next is a Dual Satellite 2x65w Sunpaq light fixture w/ lunar light and cooling fan. A glass canopy. Visi Jet Protein Skimmer. With a saltwater test kit and 50lb bag of Instant Ocean, it comes out to around $260. I found a place online to get 25lbs of live rock for $75, to which I plan to add about 20lbs of dead rock. By the way, I plan on this being a FOWLR tank. My question is, do I really need a power filter or should I just go with a skimmer and powerhead. Or should I use the filter, skimmer and powerhead. And with this setup, what would be a good choice to populate the tank with ?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'd use everything. I would also try to get some real online reviews of the skimmer before you lay down your money. I would also try to find out something about the quality of the online LR