newbie to SW

jaws101

Large Fish
May 10, 2004
CANADA
superpet.ca
I have had a lot of Fw tanks for quite some time now, and i am interested in setting a Sw tank up. What fish, and what size fo tank should i get?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i bet it is,too bad that decent equipmet for a s/w set up isn't.
with most tanks it's not the tank it self that costs but the componenets that make it run.a good protien skimmer runs about $100-150,lights for a FOWLR,aiming for 4-6 wpg,about $100,live rock at $1.50 a lb. for a 60 gallon tank,let's just say $75-100.
and all of that is quoting for a 60 gallon tank,and i was being cheap.s/w isn't a hobby for those on a small budget,unless your very dilligent with water changes and daily maintance,because,as always a larger tank will stay stable much longer than a small tank.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
the cost of a tank gets higher as the size gets larger.also some sizes can be cheaper than others based of frequencey e.g. a 55 gallon can be picked up for cheap vey often because it's a very common size tank.speaking of 55 gallon tanks i would say that would be the smallest size to start with.you could get a 55 with stand for about $100 used.where i live a 43 and an 84 gallon tank are both very reasonably priced but a 100 gallon is quite the investment so location plays a factor too.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
agreed, it isnt a hobby for those on a limited budget, unless done over time but still the initial investment is substantial, you cant use the same filters most use for fresh because they are nitrate traps

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
no they actually are nitrate traps and in general shouldnt be used for sw, normal filter set up is a protien skimmer a canister filer with no carbon only bio balls and filter floss and then you rely on your live rock and sand and clean up crew to do the rest of the filtration