Newbie with question on livebearers breeding

gozzie

New Fish
Jul 30, 2006
I have a 55g tank and just a week ago introduced a new white speckled color livebearer, she is pregnant, obviously so. She is increasing in size by the hour it seems. I have no way of knowing when she is due, but seems to be busting at the seems, I have put her in a breeding container within the tank and am waiting. How will I know when she will have the fry? How much time should I give her to have them? Should I remove her from the container right after? How many in the fry will there be?

I so appreciate any feedback as I have the feeling she will be having them soon. We already had a spontaneous fry and they were all apparently eaten? We have about 10 small ones at the moment, but are being very careful to try and not hurt them...they are in the bottom of the same breeding container.

THANKS!!

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
I agree with Gerald, livebearers will eat the fry. Make sure the fry eat a high protein diet. On this other post I suggested to give them Hikari First Bites the food is small so the fry can eat it and it has a protein to help the fry grow. I use it myself and no problem. Feed them in the morning and some in the night. After they get a little big give them the regular food you feed your other fish. Just make sure you crush it a little. Good luck!

gozzie

New Fish
Jul 30, 2006
THanks, and another question..

THank you for all the great and fast responses! Right now she is sitting at the bottom of the breeding container and looks ready to just burst. It looks like its possible she is attempting to give birth, as there is a little protrusion from her anus, but nothing coming out. She doesn't look to good to be honest. She is not moving, just little bits of flutter, but no real movement. Should I move her into the tank, maybe she is having too much stress? I am concerned. Once again, any advice is appreciated.