NH3

turbo_h4

Small Fish
Aug 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
As some of you know, I'm cycling my 75G rigth now. I was giong through my junk in the basement and I found an all purpose ammonia cleaner. It contains ammonium hydroxide solution, nonionic surfactant, opacifier, and quality control agents. Could I use this as a ammonia source in my tank?

If it could be used, approximately how much would I need to add to get around 5ppm?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
no. You need to get an ammonia that has no surfactants, basically nothing except water and ammonia.

When you find some...it comes in all different concentrations so you'll need to add slowly and wait for the water to mix for an hour or so and then test and see where you are. If you have a syringe or an eye dropper that would work well so you can measure how much you have put in. I usually measure by the cap ful...which obviously isn't a good measurement for anyone besides me because caps are different sizes!

Apr 2, 2005
One suggestion -

When you do start trying to figure out the correct dosage, start out with a 1 gallon container instead of the full 75 gallon tank. Once you figure out what it takes to get the 1 gallon to 5ppm just multiply by 75. I cycled my 45 gallon and figured out (over the course of about 4 hours *SLEEPING* ) that with the ammonia concentration I had it took 450 drops to get to 5ppm. 10 drops in a gallon would have been a lot quicker than 450 in the tank.

kc17