nipped fins = hungry fish?

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
I just got my fish a couple days ago, & they haven't really been eating. I feed them, & they get excited & bite the flakes, but they don't eat it. I'm feeding them the same food they were fed at the fish store. Today i noticed a couple fish with nipped fins. What to do?

Oct 29, 2010
Yeah, they're little guys with tiny mouths. Ripping apart big flakes is hard :)

Just crumble them between fingers and thumbs over the tank.

Also, serpae tetras are pretty infamous for fin nipping. Sometimes it helps to even a school out to six of the same fish, so that they can distribute the agression in "play" behavior among themselves :D

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Aw. Try crumbling the food or getting some different food. Variety in diet is good and fish get the most nutrition from a healthy varied diet. I feed my fish flakes, crisps, pellets, frozen baby brine shrimp, and freeze-dried bloodworms.

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
i just did a 10% water change...hopefully they'll be OK. These are just starter fish. I'm cycling my tank for a month...I am suppose to do weekly water changes right?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
they may not be eating because they are liVing in the equivelent of a room full of poSION gas

you need to be testing your Water two times a day and doing water chanegs to drop levels

if you don"t have a test kit change FIFTY PERCENt In the moRNINg anD fifTy percent in THE evening until you DO HaVE One

sorry ABout THE WONKY TExt my caps keY gOES OFF AND ON AT WILL CAUSINg me TO GET trapped in STIcKY keys along WITH THE wonky typing :(