nitrate and ammonia question

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
Last night my ammonia was 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5. Today I checked and the ammonia level is up to 0.5, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5. I thought the nitrates ate the ammonia so why is the ammonia going up? Do I need to doa water change or wait to see if it goes down? I just did a 50% water change Saturday and for those familiar with me I have had a hard time getting my tank cycled. This is the first time I have had nitrates.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You need to review the picture of cycling on my website linked below. Nitrite eats ammonia, nitrates eat the nitrite. As long as ammonia is below 1.0 ppm, it is fine. As soon as it starts going up do as many water changes as it takes to keep it down.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Last night my ammonia was 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5. Today I checked and the ammonia level is up to 0.5, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5. I thought the nitrates ate the ammonia so why is the ammonia going up? Do I need to doa water change or wait to see if it goes down? I just did a 50% water change Saturday and for those familiar with me I have had a hard time getting my tank cycled. This is the first time I have had nitrates.
This is your second thread tonight on this..... If that thread was not helpful, this one I hope did.