nitrate, nitrite test...weird...

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
Ok, My 10 gal tank has been running with fish, for about 3 weeks. Nitrate, and nitrite are still 0. however, my 30 gal, which has been running with fish, for about 2 weeks, readings are ammonia .50, nitrite .50, and nitrate 5. Why is this??? Well, I'm kinda excited, because I thought that I would never get bacteria in there...lol. My 30 gal ran empty for a few days longer than my 10 gal did, does that have something to do with it??? I put a little bit of the water from the 30 gal in the 10 gal (about 2 oz) dont know if that will do anything...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Two different tanks, two very different situations. The absence of all three in your 10G would seem to imply either a lower waste level (ie the ammonia isn't showing up yet).

Two ounces of water from the 30 to the 10 isn't going to do much of anything at all...you're not moving bacteria over, you're only moving water and ammonia and nitrite and nitrate over :) although it may help the tank a bit to have some ammonia and nitrite in it...it could screw up your testing if all of a sudden you're getting ammonia and nitrite readings, you dont know if its from the water you moved over or actual readings.

wonghee76

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2006
Malaysia
hai...

may i know how many fish in each of ur tank? according to logic, if the more fish u put in, the higher the ammonia level it will be, and the faster the cycle growth, but too much of fishes will kill them as the ammonia level will be too high that bacteria can manage them............

have a nice day

Hee