Nitrate

Can the nitrate level in my tank rise with out the tank going threw the nitrogin cycle? My ammonia and nitrite levels have not moved from zero. I test the tank every second day. The tank has been set up for 4 weeks, with live rock add after 4 days, and 4 damselfish added after 2 weeks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Couple of options. One is nitrate inyour source water. Quite likely

Other option - your tak is already cycled. Putting in the live rock did it - it came with a built in 'cycle supply' of bacteria - it's the whole point of liverock. Cycling is to some extent a defunct term with liverock tanks. Waiting 2 weeks helped too - enogh time for the bacteria to settle in and get rid of the ammonia and nitrite from the liverock die off.

Congratultion - you have effectively cycled your tank with no problems!

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Go slow and keep an eye on things good luck. Remember patience. What do you fancy getting. Remember just because the tank is cycled doesn't mean it's ready for everything - when you have left the tank for 3 months plus, and it has a good growth of some macro algae, lots of pods and so on, then it's ready ofr a dwarf angel for example.
Anywa, good job

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
The normal way is to add a couple of Snails and Hermit Crabs first, wait a few days to see if nothing's wrong with your water/setup. If the snails are doing fine after a few days, you can then add more snails/crabs. After a few days, add a shrimp, if he's doing fine, then add fish.

Of course this is the cautious way of doing it. You may decide to add the shrimp sooner, with the second batch of cleaners (ie. snails and crabs).

I have 10 snails and 2 crabs in my 33g, with a blood shrimp. The tank is almost two months old and is now cycled. I'm ready to add a couple of Clowns...