Nitrates 15 ppm

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
That's what the test showed me today. Never got this high. I changed the water 25 % two days ago...
No signs of nitrites. That sucks. Over 20 ppm i might be alarmed to lose my inverts. Except the idea of another water change and cleaning filters...what can i do ? Can't add clams they will surely die..not enough lighting.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Remove mechanical filtration(harbors nitrates), lighten fish load, use purified water. Thats basically it. A big water change will help too...personally I think its nothing to worry about.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Could be worse, I've seen tapwater at 50.

Nitrate reduction through...
water changes with better quality water
Deep sand bed
Denitrators
Nitrate removing resins/filter material
Algal filters, ie ecosystem, caulerpa sumps et al.

I don't recall the exact setup of your system

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well.. * cough * i don't have a sump. I use the "big "capacity of my 2 ac500 as a sump. Kinda laim cause it's max 2 gallons i think. And for the bed...i only have 30 pounds of aragonite crushed coral. Can i put some more without disturbing too much ?

Tnx Wayne for the solutions.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I cleaned my 2 ac and made a 17.5 % water change :D
Everything looks cleaner. But man in 5 days i made a 25% water change and now 17.5 %. It's a lot imo. I lost a turbo snail a week ago. Can't find it...or his remains. Maybe that's why the water sucked lately.
Haaa...the fun searching behind the rocks. I use a big mirror and nope...no sign of the big snail.