Nitrates

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
I just got back from the Louisiana and my tank had sat for about 3 weeks with no water change i had not done a water change for over a month before i left so it;s been almost 2 months with no water change. When i tested my water everything was right on the money Nitrites 0, amonia 0, and Nitrates 0. I figured my nitrates would be through the roof but i was wrong i even had the lfs store check my measurments i was wondering i have about 25 clams on my live rock the lfs told me they could be keeping the nitrates down. My tank has been running for about a year and a half and i do a 10 percent water change every other week. I have never had nitrate problems but i figured it was from the water changes. So i was wondering what everyone thinks i put a list of my stock below
55 gallon tank
60 lbs live sand
110 lbs live rock
3 yellow tangs
2 damsals
1 scooter blennie
1 mandarian
1 horseshoe crab
30 hermits
15 astreas snails
sandsifting star
Before i get blasted i am aware i am overstocked i am putting together a much larger tank for my rec room and plan on moving some of the stock.

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
My clean up guys keep my algae down i do get a little brown diatom on the glass but not much to speak of. My sand band is about an inch and a half thick so i guess that does help. Thanks for your comments i was just surprised when i got home i figured i was coming home to a mess.