Nitrates

Jul 15, 2006
Plainfield Illinois
Hi! I have been a lurker for a few months and have learned so much from this site!!

I have a question... I have a 27 gallon tank - I have had it since September of last year.

My nitrates have always been high, no matter what I do. Water changes, etc. My fish seem to be fine - I still have my originals from setup as well as some new platys (started with 3 now have 8). Lots of fry - some actually survive.

What is the deal with nitrates? My nitrites are zero - which I have learned is ideal. Can I fix the high nitates and are they a danger?

Thanks!!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
To know if they are a danger to your fish we need to know how high they are..What are your readings?

Test your tap water and see if that is one of the sources. It's not unheard of for tap water to have a nitrate reading of around 20ppm.

If they are zero at the tap, reduce your feedings and increase frequency of your water changes, and change more water during the change.

Also clean your filter as that can be a nitrate factory if uncleaned for very long.

Welcome to the site*PEACE!*

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I totally agree with Pure. Check the tap water to see if the nitrates are coming from there.

Careful cleaning your filter...you want to use dechlorinated water, maybe some used water from a water change otherwise you'll kill your bacteria.

Nice to have a lurker speak up ;) Welcome!

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
I had this problem when I first had my tank. There was no way for the level to go down. Well the advice Pure and FroggyFox gave you is correct and good too. When you change the water don’t take out about 50% of it. You should really stick with 25% give or take. I did this once and my levels went crazy. I ended up finding out that instead of helping my water I was simply triggering a new water cycle.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The amount of water you remove has little to nothing to do with your cycle. The inevitable over vacing of the gravel you did wile removing that much water had more to do with messing with your cycle. This is because the majority of beneficial bacteria in your tank can be found in the filter and in the gravel bed, not actively in the water column.

Who says you have to vac the gravel just to remove water...I do weekly 50% on most of my tanks and even more like 75% on my discus tank with no issues.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
A guy at my LFS told me that if you don't have plants in your tanks, then aquarium salt is good for countering the effects of nitrates. Has anyone heard of this before and if so, how does it work?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Pretty sure your lfs guy is another one of those misinformed folk. I'm not thinking of any ways that'd help, unless he's of the school of thought that salt is a 'preventative medication" for your tank...and so any bad effects on your fish from nitrates would be lessened? I personally think its bunk :) Do the water changes with water that doesn't have nitrates in it and you'll be much better off.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Salt = *laughingc

Nitrates are not a major concern. Once they start getting around 80-100 ppm, you might notice some negative changes. Still, I believe that excess is never a good thing. Keep nitrates as low as you can. Water changes, like Pure & Froggy have mentioned, is the best maintenance you can provide your fish.

Jul 15, 2006
Plainfield Illinois
thanks

Thanks for the helpful info.

I checked our water supply - zero nitrates.

My nitrates were hovering around 60. I have done a couple water changes (without vac) and they are down around 30. I will do a couple more.

I am glad I found this site!