Nitrates

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I tested for Nitrates again today and there were around 12.5. I know this isn't too bad, but should I be conserned since yesterday I did a 5 gallon water change on my 55? I vaccumed the DSB a little too. Should I maybe do a larger water change? My nitrites and ammonia are 0. Could this maybe be my DSB is too new or can a BakPak 2r skimmer build up nitrates in the camber? I do not have any bio-media in the chamber. Any info would be helpful.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
watch your feeding......overfeeding can cause high nitrates. If you took the biobale out of the skimmer that wouldnt cause high nitrates. I think if you do a water change and watch the amount of feeding check your phospates and make sure these are both down to prevent an algae bloom It may take a while for your dsb to become fully active in denitrification.....

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
got between 5 and 15 for a year or so, then it vanished...but i cheat, i have a load of chaetomorpha to do the job.
With your no3 levels your fishies and snails + hermits are ok.
The fastest and most efficient phos and no3 remover ( absorber ) i used was the polyfilter pad by bio-marine. Priceless.