nitrite level to high

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Hi I did a water change last night cause I upgraded aquariums. I have a 29 gallon.
I tested my water this morning, and my NITRITE level is to high. What can I use to get this to come down?
Will Nitro-Zorb work to help bring it down?

I talked with the owner of a tropical fish store where I live and they told me that I didnt have to cycle this aquarium if I put all the water in it from my 10 gallon and just add the rest of other water, because my 10 gallon was already cycled.
Or should I go get a bottle of the cycle and put in what I need?

ya, well the fishtore guy was wrong...it happens.

Nitrite spike tells that you are just beginning a cycle. If you can get some bio-spira, thats about the only 'fast cycler' that works...Cycle and the other similar products help with avoiding mini-cycles in established tanks, but don't really do squat for a new tank.

Read up on cycling a tank...you'll have to do LOTS of water changes to keep the fish you have in there alive. Bringing down the levels chemically will only prolong the cycle.

Do you still have your filter media from your 10 gallon tank?

Last edited:
no problem, gald i could help...it can be so hard when you get bad advice from people who are supposed to know what they are doing...and often use the "when in doubt, speak with authority" method of disseminating information. LOL

toss the filter media from the 10g tank into the tank (if its still wet)...that will also bring over good bio-media for your tank. Bio-spira is expensive...but I think you'll be able to save any you have left over for your next tank :)

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I just wanted you's to know im on my way to that pet place in the town next to us to pick up that Bio Spira.
I called them to get a price and its $10.49. I don't think that is to bad at all. Take me bout 1/2 hour to get there.

Thanks a bunch.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Quick Bio Spira question. When I put the Bio Spira in the tank, can I leave the 3 goldfish in there or should I take them out and.
Also when I put it in do I leave the carbon filters in the filters or do I take them out. I have 2 over the back filters?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Ok I went and bought the Bio Spira. And put it in tonight. So hopefully in a couple days everything will be the way that Im hoping for.
Im having trouble with my goldfish getting them ready I hate to see when I start the aquarium for my tropical.
So we will see how the Bio Spira works.

Thanks for your help *BOUNCINGS

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Ok since I put the Bio Spira in there last night. When will I be able to test the water to see if the Bio Spira is working?

I am also confused on the filter thing. Im reading about changing the filter media. I have to Whisper filters on the back of my tank. From what I am reading (I think) they are saying not to replace the pouch that has the carbon in it? Because of losing most of the bacteria.

Will it work if I would change one filter one day and a week or so later change the other filter?

On my new tank we want to put on the Penguin filter with the Bio wheel. Are they nicer than the old Whisper filters?

I am reading so many different things on so many different sites one site tells you one thing and then another site tells you something else completely different. I'm so confused. *GOLDFISH*

the bio-spira should immmediatly affect your readings...so you can test now. How do your fish look...that's your best indicator. Goldies are great for showing you your water is not quite right.

What model of whisper do you have? Do not follow the manufacturing directions for changing a filter pad, thier times are based on the "how can we get the max amount of money out of the consumer' method. I just pull the filter pad out and rinse it in old tank water (the stuff you've just pulled out of the tank), get all the gunk off and then stuff it back in. I do it until the filter floss looks like its going to fall apart.

yes, i think the bio-wheels are nicer than the whispers, but that's just me :) The bio-wheel makes the tank SO stable.