Nitrite level

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i have done my water changes and the only time my nitrites are low is after i change the water. my nitries have been around 1 maybe 2.. what should i do?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If your nitrites are still rising, that means your tank isn't fully cycled. How long has this tank been cycling? Are you treating the water BEFORE adding it to your tank? What are your ammonia levels?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
it has been on 4 weeks now.. ammonia has been 0 for a week and a half. i have been doing 50% water changes regularly. i use the aquasafe to treat the water prior to adding it into the tank

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
i have a shop vac with a drain in the bottom of it.. so i siphon the water into the shop vac with my gravel vaccum. i fill the tank back up with a hose hooked up to my utility sink. i set the water temp to the same as in the tank and i put the water treatment solution in.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
With your nitrates that high you need to be doing water changes like... daily. You can use Prime to treat the water too, it helps to detoxify the Nitrite.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
ok.. after another large water change my nitrite level was 0.. i have done multiple water changes of 50% or more and the nitrite levels have never been at 0 after the change. the lowest after the change was .25. my ammonia went to 0 after a water change and never came back. is it possible this will happen again with the nitrites?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
To remove the chlorine, the new water needs to be fully exposed to your dechlorinator- and it needs to have this BEFORE entering your tank. It sounds like you treat it after you pu tit into your tank. VERY BAD.

When I do a water change I put the recommended amount of dechlorinator into a 5G bucket and then fill the bucket up- this allows the turbulence of the water to mix the dech. up and remove all of the chlorine from the water before it enters my tank.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
no.. i do add it to the water prior to adding it to the tank.. i use a hose to fill a tupperware container next to the tank.. then i use a small bucket to fill the tank.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I would keep an eye on the nitrites they could go up again still if you aren't done cycling.

You're adding the decholinator right too then if you're adding it like that.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Sounds like you might be going through the nitrite spike. Mine done that around the time Ammonia went down to 0. I was happy about that but then seems like no matter how many water changes I done it was hard to keep the nitrites down. Just stay on top of the water changes until the nitrites level out and eventually drop to 0. The end is in sight at least!

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
The tip of the spike lasted about 4-5 days. That's when I had to go back to daily water changes. Then they went down to a more "tolerable" level for the fish (enough that I wasn't having to do daily water changes) for about another week or so. So that's about a couple weeks? But then, oddly enough it went back up to .3 (after it went down to 0). Still really low but not complete I guess. I don't know what happened there.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
well.. after most of the water changes it goes to 0 or 0.25.. oh well.. just keep up with the water changes.. i will be so happy when i don't have to do that anymore