NitrIte Question from a 4 week old tank

KeyDMY

New Fish
Dec 8, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I've had my 10 gallon tank for about four weeks, It's been home to 6 Glo fish ( 3 didn't make it and We don't know why, no does any opne else we've asked), and 3 Ghost shrimp ( the last one died today) I've been doing weekly 10-20% h2o changes every week, and been testing the water every few days. Yesterday I've seen a spike in the Nirtite from 0 to 3ppm and cant seem to get it down. I changed the water last night but it seems to be holding at 3. I want to replace my shrimp and fish, but how do I lower the nitrite? I've read everything from leaving the tank alone, to change 25% of the h2o every day, to rinse the filter, to add bacteria, to add salt.... I'm in the dark about what to do.
I'd love any advice you have, the tank was a gift to my toddler who LOVES fish, and I dont want any more of them to die.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
So the tank is 4 weeks old? What are your readings for Ammonia and NitrAte? I would think your fish died from ammonia or NitrIte poisoning.You should NOT rinse the filter or add salt. You SHOULD do a 50% water change daily until your Nitrates are 0 along with 0 Ammonia and less then 20 NitrAtes

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Welcome to fishkeeping!
DON'T PANIC!

---------------------------------------------

*Shakes magic 8 ball*
Cause of death: Chlorine, Chloramine poisoning.

---------------------------------------------

KeyDMY, since you're brand spankin' new to the hobby I'm going to guess nobody ever sat you down and discussed A. how to treat your water and B. The Nitrogen Cycle

A. Most water comes out of your tap with chlorine and Chloramines in it. We, as humans, can handle a little bit of this because we have much more mass than some fish...plus we don't live in it. Fish, on the other hand, can die very easily from some water that's not treated properly. I would suggest you start using either:
Tetra Aquasafe
Seachem Prime

B. The Nitrogen Cycle. I'm going to guess your test kit doesn't come with Ammonia readings. They've probably been off the charts for a while now without you knowing about it. Ammonia poisoning is also a possibility for why you have dead fish now. Gill burn from the Nitrites are possible too. Heck, maybe all three contributed to the deaths of your little fishies.

Long story short: Do what Dylan says. Continue to do 50% water changes AND TREAT WITH A WATER CONDITIONER!

Short story long: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
You're in the process of doing a fish-in cycle. Don't stop. You're getting there. Just keep up with the water changes.

Good luck! Remember to keep us updated. We like to know what's what.

KeyDMY

New Fish
Dec 8, 2010
I'ne treated the water when starting up and at each and every water change. My Ammonia is a 0 and my nirtate is at 0 and always have been, this is the only time i've had problems with any of the levels in the tank

Feb 27, 2009
Do daily 50% water changes, making sure the new water is properly dechlorinated and the temperature matches the tank, until your nitrites are zero. It sounds like your cycle is almost completed with the nitrates at 20.