Nitrite Spike Help/Advice Needed!

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I have a Nitrite spike in my 60g tank and need some help lowering the levels.

Ph: 7.8
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 40

I performed a water change two (2) days ago and the amonia lowered from 0.25 down to 0. Otherwise the levels have been the same.

SHould I put a serious dose of Prime in there?? Or just wait it out?

I am using a BioWheel 350. SHould I replace one of the blue filter inserts?

The fish appear to be happy and are swimming around without any apparent issues!

Macfish

Small Fish
Jan 27, 2008
Like I said in your other post about "BIO Spira", your tank hadnt even started to cycle when you thought it was done and adding more fish (warned you not to) would only caused your cycle to be prolonged/more toxic.

Like Lotus said, daily W/C's is your only solution. Changing filter media atm would prolong your problems even more. When doing the W/C's, lightly gravel vac, so you dont disturb any biologics going on and wait it out. I'd say you have atleast a week of these numbers before they drop off and the RATES kick in.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
thanks for your help!!

is it slightly odd that the amonia is 0, nitrite is 1.0 and nitrate is 40?

before thie spike the amonia and nitrite had never gone above 0.50.

Macfish

Small Fish
Jan 27, 2008
As for the ammonia, the only thing I can attribute it to is maybe you stopped testing for it or the color was hard to read. The nitrates being 40 is pretty simple, you have RATES in your tap water. 40ppm on the rates scale from the tap is high but, over time, your rates can get that high with just water changes.

Your tap water contains say – 10ppm nitrates, your tank is at 40 – you do a 50% water change removing approx ½ of your rates leaving you with 20 – add back 50% worth of water you took out with fresh tap and your already at 30 (your tap contained 10). Over time, your nitrates can get pretty high in a stocked tank. Either add in water that contains no nitrates or add plenty of plants to take care of the rates from the nitro-cycle and your tapwater.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
odd confirmation

Aside from this morning, I always do a 'full' set of tests when I check levels (every 2-3 days). Full set = ph, amonia, nitrite, nitrate.

I actually performed the amonia test twice since i could not believe it was at 0. i used a different glass vile for the second repeat test even though i thoroughly rinse out each vile after i have recorded the result. there is a clear differnece against a white background between yellow and green, especially when you compare it to the results card.

maybe my tap water does contain nitrates which could be affecting that level.