nitrite spike!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
ok I've had my tank for bout 2 months and it cycled through. had all my fish for a month. I know it is overstoked a bit I'm new and din't know any better at the time. but my nitrite level was at a good level. can't remember the exact numbers but I know they were good. that was a few days ago and today I checked them like I always do on wed. They went up to like 50 mg/l. It was high in the midrange. my question is. What could have caused the jump all the sudden? I did a water change after a saw that and it is fine now.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I didn't answer earlier because it's tough to know what to reply without having the water parameters. You know by now, I'm sure, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate... need the numbers, not 'good' or 'not good', all that kind of stuff.
What was the exact test result on the nitrite test, and did you test ammonia and nitrates at the same time?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have put nothing in the tank the past few days. I have the number writen down so I will put them up when I get home today. and I'm testing them all at the same time.