Nitrite spike!

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
So i have been following a pattern close to Iggy's cycle guide and my ammonia reading are starting to come down and the nitrites are SKY rocketing, my question is simple and i am just wondering how long do the nitrites stay for!

THIS IS A FISH LESS CYCLE (tank is a 55 [u.s.] gallons.)

Once my cycle is finished i wanted to initially put two Oscars in there buy them fresh at 2.5inches to 3 inches, but i have been thinking i might want to do just one Oscar and maybe another type of fish if possible any ideas!?

Jun 21, 2008
I did a fish cycle, using BioSpira, which apparently didn't work, for a possible variety of reasons. So my situation is a bit different, but my nitrites took about 4 weeks or so to come down. I think it's probably quicker with fishless, maybe about 3 weeks. Here's a couple graphs which outline general time periods with cycles. Hope this helps. Be patient, they'll get there. Mine just now are.
Puffernet >>>Nitrogen Cycle
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
And as for your stocking question, I'd go with just one oscar.
Anything more than that in a 55 gal. tank will not only put a strain on your filters, but on your arms too...as you lug water-changing buckets back and forth several times a week in order to keep the nitrAtes down...;)
BV

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
And as for your stocking question, I'd go with just one oscar.
Anything more than that in a 55 gal. tank will not only put a strain on your filters, but on your arms too...as you lug water-changing buckets back and forth several times a week in order to keep the nitrAtes down...;)
BV
Was going to say the same thing...also whatever fish you add to the tank add it slowly..dont fully stock in a day or 2..take your time and give the bacteria time to catch up to the higher bio load.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Its use to having a HIGH ammonia around 5ppm it is a fish less cycle, in theory i can add the full 1inch of fish per gallon of water if i wanted to? the bacteria will stay cycling until i stop adding the ammonia and change the water to get rid of the high Nitrates. I am almost positive this would be true.