Nitrite up a little

mcsully

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2006
Hey everyone

Just a quick question. I was doing my reading for my 60 gallon tank (cycled about 2 weeks ago) and my Nitrite went up to .25. Ammonia and Nitrate look great. Is this normal?

And what do people recommend for a water change? I was thinking today but since the readings looked good, I was going to wait another week?

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
When you say it was 2 weeks ago, do you mean the full cycle ended two weeks ago, or you started cycling it two weeks ago?

Either way, water changes should bring that down, or at least IME it will. Try vaccuming too if you have gravel. When my nitrites went up, a couple of good gravel vaccumings helped a lot :)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Just keep doing readings and change the water as needed until the biofilter settles down. A minicycle is to be anticipated when making changes such as you did, but the good thing is that you haven't had any major spikes and are keeping a close eye on any changes. Once it is stable for at least a week with no ammonia or nitrites, you can start considering adding more fishies. I'd be patient until then. :)

Keep a close eye on that 20 also since you removed so much of its biofilter during the change.

mcsully

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2006
Seleya that sounds great. I have been following the rule of adding little by little. Friday I added in another 4 fish, that was after a week of the tests looking great. Two days after having the fish in, I noticed the nitrite went up a little, nothing serious just .25.

The 20 Gallon tank is looking awesome. Did my results again and have a high PH of 7.6 but ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate is looking great at 20 (results have matched the past 14 days).