Nitrite way too High!

Aug 3, 2006
my tank was fine, then I didn't check for a couple weeks, then my friend wanted to see the test so I showed it to her. That's when I realized my Nitrite was off the charts, literally! Its this hot pink color that is not even on the color chart so I guess its 10+. I did a water change, and that didn't help. My LFS told me to add Aquarium Salt, that didn't help either. Did this about 4 days ago. Everything else is right where it is suppose to be, amonia also. I was thinking of taking some of the fish out and see what happens, but I don't know. So what do I do now. This is my 55 gallon tank and the fish in it are located in my signature.

Last edited:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You have to do one water change right after the other, like the same day, until you get the numbers down to a safe level.
Is your test kit fresh? An old test kit, or strips that have gotten exposed to air, can give false readings. You could have the lfs test it to confirm your readings, but ask for actual numbers, not just 'fine' or 'bad'.
How long has the tank been set up? Are you sure the cycle was complete? What have you been doing to the tank maintenance-wise? I think it's important to figure out why you would get high nitrite readings like that.
What are your nitrAte readings? You sure that's not what we're talking about here?

Aug 3, 2006
readings

homebunnyj said:
You have to do one water change right after the other, like the same day, until you get the numbers down to a safe level.
Is your test kit fresh? An old test kit, or strips that have gotten exposed to air, can give false readings. You could have the lfs test it to confirm your readings, but ask for actual numbers, not just 'fine' or 'bad'.
How long has the tank been set up? Are you sure the cycle was complete? What have you been doing to the tank maintenance-wise? I think it's important to figure out why you would get high nitrite readings like that.
What are your nitrAte readings? You sure that's not what we're talking about here?
ok will do the water changes. yes its my nitrite my nitrAte reading is about 30 to 40. not above 40. i will try and do another water change after another. the test kit, I just bought. but i will take the water to a LFS just to be sure.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Salt will only get rid of NitrAtes. I had the same problem. I added 2 Tablespoons of salt to 29G of water and It droped it to the safe zone. I just had to wait it out. When I talked to the guy at the LFS here he said to stop doing water changes. Here is the reason, When you change the water you are taking out the bacteria that helps with the cycle. Thus making the bacteria have to multiply before it can remove the Nitrites. I reccomed using Stress Zyme It helped. I cycled my 29G tank in 3 weeks.

Hope every thing turns out well.

MAHA

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thus proving that the people at the LFS really dont know what they're talking about usually. You have to do water changes or those levels get way too high for your fish. Most bacteria is NOT free floating in the water, meaning you can do 100% changes every day and your bacteria will be fine. Bacteria colonizes on every porus surface of your tank, mostly the filter and filter media. Aquarium salt really doesn't do anything, and in most cases it is much more healthy for the tank overall to do water changes to get rid of the nasties rather than mask them or try to chemically alter them.

Sounds like your tank is still cycling, just do water changes for the nitrites to come down. Since your nitrates are so high (I dont like mine to be above 20) it sounds like your cycle is coming to an end.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Aquarium salt will only somewhat reduce the toxicity level of nitrite on your fish. It won't actually reduce the nitrites.

Please do several water changes to bring the levels down, as nitrite poisoning can cause long-term damage to your fish, even if they survive.