nitrite

Mar 6, 2004
leicester
Visit site
i have a 180 litre tank live sand no live rock as yet but hoping to get some soon!i have 1 maroon clown,1 yellow tang and a regal tang.ammonia is always good but the nitrite is always high (0.5)my filter is a eheim pro and a prizim skimmer.no matter what i do i can't shift the nitrite levels please help

st.anger

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2004
winnipeg, manitoba
www.freewebs.com
that tank is going too be way over stocked a full size angle requires a 120gal tank im not even going too explain the tang and puffer problems your going too have, look some info on the fish you want cheack out www.wetwebmedia.com for a start. , your nitrites are most likely high because your tank is over crowded IMO now and adding more fish will raise it and your ammonia, id also look at more filtration and some live rock will help i always kept about 1.5 too 2 pounds per gallon

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Your tank will be way over stocked. Your angel will grow out of your tank in a few months. Its maximum size is about 16inches. Mixing three different kinds of tangs in a 180 liter tank is very risky. Depending on size of each tang I predict your Lipstick to kill your Regal and then start working on your Yellow. Your lipstick and Regal will also outgrow your system with a maximum of length of about 18inches for the Lipstick and 12inches for the Regal.

The only way for your nitrites to go down, is to wait. How old is your system? Any nitrites detected in the aquarium is unhealthy. You could add a few pieces of cured live rock to boost the nitrogen cycle or purchase a frozen bacterial culture from your LFS.

Good Luck...Sam Reef
10 Gallon Marine Tank
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes tough luck you're going to be ridiculously overstocked. You'll find two tangs in there risky anyway. How long has this been set up - not long I suspect. Live sand or not, asre you sure you're not cycling. Are you talking nitrite or nitrate?
Why are you asking here - have you been to Clearwater aquatics for advice? Local Leicester shop, amazingly high quality and well informed

Mar 6, 2004
leicester
Visit site
the tangs are getting on fine the system is about 2 months old now.the regal tang is about 4-5 inch long and the yellow tang is about 2 inch the maroon clown is about 2 inch long the lipstick tang i have seen is about 8-9 inch long the blue angel i have seen is about 6 inch long

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I guess the tank is a metre or 120 cms long. Simply the tank is nothing like big enough to hold the lipstick or blue angel. Not nearly big enough. These are big, fast, free swimming fish, so you'd really need to be looking for a 1000 litres plus for these fish.
The tangs are getting on fine because they're small. There's always a chance it might work long term as they're very different looking, but maybe not. You know that most people who have success with tangs have them in 75 gallons plus (300 litres) else as they get larger they suffer from 'confinement stress', rather than filtration inadequacies. One day they simply die...
Look on the bright side, according to Randy Farley-Holmes who's about the best marine aquarium chemist there is , nitrite is pretty much non toxic in marine water and he doesn't bother testing for it anymore. Worry about keeping ammonia at zero and keep an eye on nitrates...