Nitrites back

Jan 31, 2009
Near LA
My tank was cycled, but the Nitrites have risen to 10ppm again. Ammonia and Nitrites read 0 Tuesday, but I didn't have time for a water change right away and continued adding small amounts of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Was this my mistake? What should I do?
If my problem was not changing the water right away, are there any other ways to maintain the bacteria? I'm going to be really busy next week and it will be a miracle if my homework gets done, so I probably won't have a spare hour for a water change.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
That's nitrate that's at 10 and rising, and it will continue rise.

Why do a fishless cycle if you're not going to add fish?

Yes, keep feeding the bacteria. Why are you worried about doing water changes if there aren't any fish in there?

Jan 31, 2009
Near LA
I used my nitrite test, so I don't know how it could be nitrate. I think I may have miscounted the drops because it's back at 0 today.

I am going to add fish today--I just didn't have time or a ride during the week.

The water change I was referring to is the final one to remove the built-up nitrates befor adding fish. I just finished it and am going to the LFS sometime in the next hour.