Nitrites/Water Change Question

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
How long after a water change should you notice your nitrite levels lower? They are high and I did a water change and then tested after the water change and they are the same level. I am so confused. I have read the articles and search this site and I just get more confused. There is no ammonia showing now.

Nitrites .5
ammonia 0

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I did about a 45% water change today and about a 20% every other day. I have the drop liquid tests. The fish seem happy and no signs of distress. The tank is 55 gallons set up for little over 2 months now.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Whenever I've had high nitrites they wont go down from water changes...its odd. If you have a nagging .5ppm nitrite then it could be from gunk in the tank that you haven't vaccuumed up or that you overfeed. If you're still at the end of your cycle then you need to just wait it out...and I think as long as you do a pretty big water change then your fish will be thankful for it.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I think I need to just wait it out. I cut back on feeding about a week ago. I didn't think I was overfeeding but who knows. I cleaned a bit og the gravel but not much I thought it had to stay somewhat dirty for the bacteria.

The nitrite level was the same again today :(

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The gravel doesn't need to stay dirty...if you're getting gunk up then get that stuff outta there!! Your filter has more than enough bacteria in it to take care of your tank.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Ok I had been vacuuming the crud out but only half at a time. I did the whole thing this morning so we will see what happen.

FWIW the nitrates stayed the same before and after the water change.