No Nitrite

Grahams

Medium Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Syracuse, NY
hey guys. Ive had my 10 gallon set up for a little over a month now with 3 black swordtails. The ammonia is up to 4ppm, but the nitrites are still 0. Is there anything i can do to speed this up?

Grahams

Medium Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I know fish-less cycling is better but i set this tank up before i researched it enough. The levels are better now with ammonia at 2 nitrite is .5 and nitrate is 5. so im hoping the cycle will be done soon

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If ammonia is over 1 ppm, the level is toxic for the fish. You need to start doing water changes until those levels get to 1ppm or less. Your cycle should be done in a week or so, but in the meantime, you really need to look out for the welfare of your fish. Even if they make it through the cycle at those ammonia levels, they will have lasting damage to their gills and health.

Grahams

Medium Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Syracuse, NY
If ammonia is over 1 ppm, the level is toxic for the fish. You need to start doing water changes until those levels get to 1ppm or less. Your cycle should be done in a week or so, but in the meantime, you really need to look out for the welfare of your fish. Even if they make it through the cycle at those ammonia levels, they will have lasting damage to their gills and health.
alright thanks, ill go do a water change right now.