NO. of fishes in my tank

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
You need to decide between Goldfish or Tropical Fish. Goldfish can only go with goldfish. They are very messy and will get 12" over time. If you want to stay with something small then I would go with tropical fish. You can look on this website at the fish profiles and/or you can look here www.liveaquaria.com When you make a choice let us know. :)

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
guppy_newbe said:
You need to decide between Goldfish or Tropical Fish. Goldfish can only go with goldfish. They are very messy and will get 12" over time. If you want to stay with something small then I would go with tropical fish. You can look on this website at the fish profiles and/or you can look here www.liveaquaria.com When you make a choice let us know. :)
wow...great link there...

i would go for lots of small small fish in a ten...
rather than a few larger ones...

wot about a betta and a snail... :)

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Yeah, definently go tropical. Goldfish are EVIL! I'm anti-goldfish. They can't be with any really cool fish and they get HUGE!

For a 10 gallon u could get like 3 neon tetras, and Afican dwarf frog and maybe a cory cat or 2, but I might be wrong.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Zman16 said:
Yeah, definently go tropical. Goldfish are EVIL! I'm anti-goldfish. They can't be with any really cool fish and they get HUGE!
That's the coolest thing i've ever read on this site...hahahahaha...

Zman16 said:
For a 10 gallon u could get like 3 neon tetras, and Afican dwarf frog and maybe a cory cat or 2, but I might be wrong.
sheeeet...no way...
THAT'S the coolest thing i've ever read on this site...hehehehehe...

Z...you IS da man ... :):):)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
What kind of Barbs and Tetra?? If they are Tiger Barbs then they were not the best choice. They tend to be nippy and should be kept in a school of 6 or more. Also just to warn you, you are going to have babies and you might want to get a grow out tank for them and if you dont want to keep them then you can see if you LPS (local pet store) will take them, they usually do.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You might have wanted to do some more research...that is way too many fish for a 10G tank. You also want to keep livebearers in groups of at least two females per male or else you run into troubles. (livebearers are Mollies, guppies, platies, swordtails etc) Tetras of any kind are schooling fish and do best in groups of 5 or more.

Also...did you just start this tank up? You're going to need to read up on cycling if you did...

Dec 19, 2005
Did you purchase two female mollies, if you did they are more likely than not already pregos. I had one of my molly females give birth in the bag from the lfs on the way home. She had two before I got home and then she stopped until later that night. By morning I had 27 fry!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Zman16 said:
Hey now..... Goldfish don't need to be with cool fish because they ARE cool fish. *crazysmil

Which fish have been coddled for centuries strictly because they were appealing while other fish were kept for food or just wallowing in their native streams, lakes, rivers, marshes, stinkholes? Who has spent the past couple thousand years being celebrated in art, poetry and song? Who has a snack cracker named after them? Hrmmm??? I think I've made my point! :D

Besides, there are a few cool fish you can keep goldies with.... *thumbsups

*GOLDFISH* *GOLDFISH* *GOLDFISH* *GOLDFISH* *GOLDFISH* *GOLDFISH* *GOLDFISH*

As for the new tank mates. As many others have noted, way too many, way to early, not necessarily appropriate for a 10 and not necessarily compatible.

"2 molly," -- mollies aren't really 10 gallon fish. Are they male, female or both? Where are the babies going to go?

"2 tetra," -- what sort of tetra? Tetras include everything from the wee ember tetras to piranhas and can be anywhere from 1 inch to 3 feet! Tetras also are all schooling fish and require at least 5 or so of their species -- the more the merrier.

"2 barbs," -- what sort of barbs? Again, that is a category, not a specific species. Most barbs also appreciate company and often *require* company to keep their rowdiness from impacting their tankmates.

"2 swordtail" -- see mollies. Also, if they're both males, they may fight.

"and 4 platties" -- THESE should be fine, depending on what you do with the rest. Again, as livebearers, you want a ratio of at least 2 females for every male. Ideally, you have either 4 males or 1 male. If you have 1 male, you once again will have to determine what to do when they start making little platies.

It's very important you read the stickies about cycling and I would suggest you do a bit more research on your purchases and return the majority of them or you're gonna need a bigger tank.

Jan 13, 2006
Wow! the guy at the pet store said that it was cool and wanted me to get more!!!! I have no clue who is male or female. How can I tell? Well I do wanna up great my tank. Now I think that I should off talk to someone more experience with fishes, Cause the information that I got from the pet store was nothing equivalent to what i am reading here. I was also told when you clean out your tank you get the eggs with that, so then there would be no reproduction. Any ways I need all the information I can get so please let me know what ever is needed to be known. All my fishes are 1 inch or a little smaller.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
cybersymes said:
That's the coolest thing i've ever read on this site...hahahahaha...

sheeeet...no way...
THAT'S the coolest thing i've ever read on this site...hehehehehe...

Z...you IS da man ... :):):)
Thanks for the coments! I didn't read this thread since I put my post in. And Yes I is the Man:D

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
becasherwood said:
Wow! the guy at the pet store said that it was cool and wanted me to get more!!!! I have no clue who is male or female. How can I tell? Well I do wanna up great my tank. Now I think that I should off talk to someone more experience with fishes, Cause the information that I got from the pet store was nothing equivalent to what i am reading here. I was also told when you clean out your tank you get the eggs with that, so then there would be no reproduction. Any ways I need all the information I can get so please let me know what ever is needed to be known. All my fishes are 1 inch or a little smaller.
Whoa......that has to be the worst thing I've heard a lfs say yet. Mollies, swordtails and platys are all livebearers....meaning they give birth to live little fishies....therefore no eggs. Jeez........some stores employees should have to take a test before they are allowed to sell fish.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Oh, and to answer your question about males and females..........livebearer males have a gonopodium (a tube like fin under their belly near the anal fin) and females have a normal rounded fin.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The guy at the fish store had $$$ dancing in his head. ;)

With the livebearers, the males' anal fin (last single fin on the underside before the tail) will be shaped like a rod, the females will have one shaped like a fan. This would include the mollies, platies and swordtails (male swords will also have a sword)

We'd need to know which tetras and barbs you have to tell you if there are any identifying characteristics. In many cases, it's simply that the female is plumper, but other species have color or fin differences.

Livebearers don't have eggs (outside their bodies), the name explains it all. They also tend to be be quite prolific. Tetras and barbs are egglayers -- you may suck up the eggs during water changes if they don't eat them first or are a species which sticks their eggs to something.

Jan 13, 2006
I found out that I have the platinum lyretail molly, head and tail light tetra assorted swordtail, albino cherry barbs and assorted platty. That sound about right the store associate had $$$$ on his mind. i am happy to get the info that i am getting here. I had no glue that fishes that small give birth instead of laying eggs. Keep the great info coming .