Noisy Overflow...

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Yup, it's actually a fairly effective way of silencing overflows. The marineland S.O.S. (Silent Overflow System) uses an almost identical set up... just straight from the manufacturer ;).

I hope the sound isn't coming from the U-tubes. Easy enough to tell though, just look to see if any bubbles are getting sucked into it. If there is, there's bigger problems than sound lol. Any air that gets sucked into the U-tube COULD (no matter how unlikely) cause the siphon to break. That's when you get WFS (Wet Floor Syndrome).

Chris

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If it's "stuck" in the tube try turning up the flow (return pump) or try sucking it out with airline tube if you can't. I use a syringe on the end so I don't need to taste the saltwater (blah... Though, you do get to know the specific gravity eventually ;) ) If bubbles arn't getting stuck, you might have too much flow for the u-tube or it's good. Really there's a happy medium one is aiming for. Enough flow that any bubbles get kicked through and slow enough that very few to none get picked up. BUT not so slow that air collects when the odd bubble does get picked up. Yay for tinkering lol ;)

Could you post a pic or vid of the strainer (tank side) of the overflow? Might be able to get an idea where yours is sitting in that criteria.

Chris