Noob Mistakes

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
Wow, i was going through some old pictures, and i found something that made me shiver. This was from when i was about 10 years old, so go easy on me. Yes if you look at the attachment, that is in fact a pacu, a gold severum, and two bala sharks in a 25 gallon hex. I have learned immensely since then, and noobs, always remember to do plenty of research before you go busting into the LFS and make the same mistake i did. I was so proud of myself, and i was so happy to see a "piranha" in my tank. In about two weeks all hell broke loose, the severum and the pacu were fighting, and the balas were getting chased. WOW! In conclusion, my tank is way better now, ALL OF THESE FISH (EXCEPT THE SMALL BALA) WERE RETURNED!!!! (so missfishy , dont yell at me). I am confident that i am not the only one who's done this, so please share your mistakes!

Attachments

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Mistakes huh?

Well, I've taken a fish from one tank with the net, straight into another...then decided I didnt want to move her about 2 minutes later...so moved her straight back in. She was dead in about 10 minutes.

I put a ghost shrimp in with my channel cat....he lasted less than 24hrs

I put numerous little fish in with my fancy goldie...who quickly enjoyed them.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Hmmm...where should I start? Knowing nothing about cycling or testing water. Putting a goldfish in 10G with guppies and neons. All of which are dead except the neons. I've come a LOOOONG way since I first put the 10G up about a month ago. I'm now in the process of building a 46G and planning on doing it right this time!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Sheesh! I'm not that bad! I just think fish have the right to live in a suitable environment where they have a chance to survive!

The most recent silly mistake I've made...I bought a nice big piece of driftwood on a slate slab that I figured would sink right to the bottom. I ripped up my entire 29g to put it in, put it in, and it floats!!! So right now my 29g "show tank" is a disaster with a piece of wood floating in it for about 3 weeks now and everything else just a jumbled up mess. When oh when will that thing just stay on the bottom like it's supposed to?!

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
lucky for myself and my fish I havent made any HUGE mistakes thanx to this website and the dude at my LFS who actually cares about the fish and not just selling em ( not his partners tho) one mistake I did make was I put too many fishies in a tank when I started but thanx to missfishy I got a 29G and put 4 of them in that tank and now I have happy fishies

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I'm just relieved I've yet to kill a fish. But hey I set up a tank and dumped fish into it the first day I had it with my first tank and didn't know anything was wrong with that. Thank god they were hearty fish.