Novelty betta "tanks"

chirp

New Fish
Nov 1, 2004
Visit site
I saw some fancy bevelled glass "tanks" this weekend; your choice of roughly 8" x 6" stars, hearts, etc, w/ a little 2" or 3" compartment glued in the center for the fish, almost like an afterthought. Very pretty. Very cruel. The first thing I thought of when I saw them was oh, tealight candleholders.

Consequently, I broke down, bought a 15ga tank (not from that store! Grr.. stuff like that shouldn't even be on the shelves, IMO) . Gonna cycle it and ask Santa for a betta.

ty6464

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2004
Georgia, USA
Visit site
what I do when I see those things is:
1. Take the little torture chambers.
2. Move them to either a top shelf where no one sees them or put them behind a bunch of other stuff.
3. Move a decent size tank where the little torture chambers were so people get the right thing.
I know it isn't the best way (especially when the manager sees you rearranging the entire fish section), but it seems to work.

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
people seem to have a concept that 'betta wouldn't die'...
i had no idea why one wouldn't keep a tetra in a container like that but would leave a betta in it!
i saw some vest even says it can have a betta in the bottom while plants at top... they seem to think betta wouldn't need to eat or he's just eat the root?!?!
what r these people thinking... very scary.

chirp

New Fish
Nov 1, 2004
Visit site
Does anybody write letters in complaint to the companies carrying tanks like these? If enough people expressed their displeasure, companies might rethink stocking them.

Letters would probably be more effective than rearranging shelves... I can just see myself getting into trouble over that one... ;)

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
My betta in a bowl served as inspiration for my first 10 gallon tank and he couldn't be any happier! I was amazed at how high the ammonia level got in his little bow, even with daily 40% water changes. Now he has a nice tank, live plants and some platies for friends who he gets along with great.