Now I get to play on the saltwater page!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I decided to delve into the saltwater world! I picked up a saltwater complete setup from the classifieds. It's a 45 gallon with EVERYTHING! Tank, hood/light (just a normal light (not upgraded)), stand, magnum 350 filter, 2 heaters, protein skimmer, live sand, live rock (not sure how much?), food, and fish, for $130. Everything except a book; I'll have to send away for one. I also don't think there was a powerhead, but it's doing fine without. It did have two fire gobies, but one must have climbed into the live rock when it was getting wrapped for shipping, so there's only the one now. I thought it was a pretty darn good deal.

Everything had to get moved from central New York to central Massachusetts. We took as much water as we could fit into the car... I think we got about 30 gallons. I'm spending a few weeks in NY to dog sit for my grandmother, and my parents went back to Mass, so they had a full back seat to pile the tank in. I helped them load it up, but my parents got to unload it and re-set it up without me. They have it essentially set up- all but the protein skimmer and air pump... neither of which they'll need while I'm gone.

My mom mixed up the necessary water to fill the tank, just using dechlorinated tap water. The fish was still alive and he (she?) came out to eat the next evening, so Mom must have done it okay. Having no experience with saltwater at all, that's pretty good. She did a good job just floundering around... I was impressed. So, if anyone wants a cute little peaceful fish that's reasonably hardy, I recommend a fire goby. Over 4 hours in a bucket travelling, then waiting for the tank to get set up, then adjusting quickly to different water (he's used to distilled water), and still alive and kicking. Hopefully he won't get too lonely without his buddy. He's real skittish, but he does come right out to eat.

Can you sex a fire goby? I'd like to get him a new buddy, but I know they'll fight if they're the same sex. Eventually, I plan to get a dwarf angel... 45 gallons is big enough. Probably a flame angel; they have great colors. Not sure what else I can fit comfortably. Any suggestions on fish to check out? It's not going to be a reef, but I do want to keep the fire goby and get some snails and such. There's really little snails in there right now (assuming they survived the trip), but I want to get some bigger snails and/or hermit crabs too.

Any general suggestions or things to tell my mom to look out for while she tends the tank?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Cool story, Caps, and awesome deal.

Be sure your mom watches the tank for evaporation and refills as you didn't mention you had an auto-top off system.

You already have your tank covered so no worries on the jumping abilitie of the firefish goby.

I've never had a flame angel, but from what I understand one will be just fine in your tank.

In regards to other fish... well, what do you like? Here are my two favorite pages for fish-browsing.

http://www.aquahobby.com/e_marine.php
and
http://www.fishpalace.org/Fish.html