Nutri-sea water. Watch out !!

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I am starting my first nano reef, I just finished cycling and was about to do a water change. I purchase nutri-sea water 4.4 gallon to do a few w/c with . I paid 18 dollars. For some reason I decided to go against the packaging and test the water. The ph was 7.8 and the specific gravity sent the needle straight to the top of my hydrometer. I called my LFS and they gave me a new 1. I'm just trying to warn every b4 u try it, test it

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
That's incredibly expensive for sea water. Look for Catalina water it is distributed under quite a few names but around here it's $8-$10 for 5 gallons. Even Petco sells it for $12 under their brand name. Some of the LFS sell premade saltwater for .99 cents a gallon

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
well supposedly this water has 10,000 bacteria per gallon (prob a gimmick) and if you use it to fill a tank you do not have to cycle, thats why its expensive. I figured id give it a whirl.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Why would anyone even consider bying premade saltwater? That blows my mind. You have no control over the SG / salinity, and have no idea what water they used to produce the saltwater or what salt.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmm sort of my thoughts exactly....though some places you can buy seawater direct....not premixed and fairly cheap too......I think Tre buys his direct like that.