O. neglectus

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
As I said in an earlier thread, I caught a pair of O. neglectus in a 'local' lake.

Here's some shots of the male in his 3 gal. tank:

(flash was on in the last pic)

Here's some shots of the female in her 20 gal. (long) tank which she shares with some guppies (also destined to produce feeders for my oscar):

I'll get them mating before too long and keep you posted on things.

BV

P.S. I parted with the two blue alleni females I had in order to accomodate these guys. I still have one blue alleni male though.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Nice Find!!! *thumbsups

Those guys are wicked cool looking.

Do they acheive the same size as the P.Alleni? (from this perspective they already look more "beefy")

Do they require roughly the same care (food/housing/maint.)?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks, Denny!
They are definitely more robustly-built than alleni---esp. the huge claws---but they don't quite get to be as long, from what I understand. That being said, the male I caught is just as big as the largest of alleni I've had, but I have seen larger alleni (longer, with more slender claws) in the pet shops on occasion...

You might wanna check out this page (see below)...
Missouri has some very cool crays!
O. neglectus (also known as 'ringed crayfish') can be found just about halfway down the page:
Varieties of Crayfish Found in Missouri

As far as care goes, I'm planning on treating them more or less the same as alleni. About the only thing I'm more mindful of is their water temperature, which should ideally, IMO, be lower than for alleni. Water I found these guys in was only about 60 degrees F, so I had to acclimate carefully (slowly). Ultimately I think they'd do fine long-term in higher temps though. It's just a matter of not shocking them by throwing em' from a 60 degree bucket of lake water to an 80 degree tank.

Incidentally, the male is housed in Jericho's old 3 gal. tank, which maintains a temp. of about 78-82 degrees F. He's doing just fine. Sure, the higher temp will bump up his metabolism and thereby shorten his lifespan, but that's not the end of the world (I know where I can always catch some more to replace these guys should the need arise). ;)

By the way, the female caught a male guppy this morning and crushed him with her large claws; essentially exploding his guts out of him. :eek:
BV