Obtaining a Lion Fish?

Hi all,

I'm new to the salt water aspect of things and I was just curious about maintaining and taking care of a lion fish - I'd love to have one but I would like to know how large they get when fully grown? And also what size tank is needed for it when it is fully grown. Thanks for your time to answer my question! :)

-David

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
LiveAquaria.com is a good site to get simple facts on differant fishes. Most lions get around football size but, as they're not increadibly active animals, they don't require as much space as others. There's a minimum tank size listed on each species. I always believe that more space=happier fish.

With lions you'll need to be cautious when choosing tank mates, however, you most certainly can have more than just one lion in a suitable size tank.

Triggers, some wrasses, rabbits, and puffers are all suitable tank mates, but keep in mind they're going to get big as well. Something to keep in mind when choosing which lion you would like is its size. It's much easier and affordable to find and buy small triggers (especially) than it is to get full grown specimins.

Something I recently learned (the hard way) and posted in another thread, is to make sure the fish you're buying is fed frozen food. For the past couple months I've been working to transition my lion to eat frozen and there's finally an end in sight. As goldfish aren't a suitable diet, live food gets quite expendsive quite fast.

Just something to think about, and after all that, I'm no expert on lions. I have done my homework on them, however, and have found nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to care. Just stay away from the spines... I can't stress that enough :(

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Umm...hate to disagree with Nutfarm. Liveaquaria is not a good place to seek facts. The minimum tank size on many fish is way to small or in other cases to big.

There are many species of lionfish that do not grow the size of a football. In a matter of fact only the Volitan reaches that size. If you want a small species try the true dwarf or Zebra.

Lionfish are quite docile as long as the tankmates can't fit into their mouths. Large damsels, surgeonfish, a few kinds of wrasses are good tankmates. In many cases triggers, angels, and butterflies wil pick on the lion.

Nutfarm basically covers the rest. Frozen foods soaked in zoe, and no goldfish! Finally stay away fromthe fins...yes they pack a punch and can cause a dedicated aquarist to quit when stung.

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
~bites tongue~

Ok, you're right. Not all lions get the size of a football. I'm not sure I used the word "all" anyways. In fact, I don't know exactly how long a football is, to be exact. It was a general referance to size. I never intended for anyone to actually go outside and measure their football either.

As for the minimum tank size, no matter where you go or who you talk to there's going to be a differance of opinion. I realize I'm new here and stated that the opinion was a fact. That's my bad. I'll be more careful to spell things out in the future. That said, I have to agree with S.Reef about the tank requirements not being to my personal liking either. I'm a firm believer in "more space, happier fish", though I admitt this is not necessarily always true.

I'm on my way out of the house for the night, and therefore won't be able to post any replies until tomorrow afternoon. Lets just knock things down to this... If you get a lion, don't bump it out of the way with your finger like you would other fish. It's a mistake. Also, if it doesn't eat frozen, think twice before buying.

But still - what size tank is big enough for say the dwarf or Zebra lion fish when either are full grown? I just want to have it as a pet with maybe one other tank mate - I'm new to the aquarist stuff although I know people who can help me set up the salt water tank, my dad especically had a tank before. Any additional info, concerns, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-David

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
For a Dwarf or Zebra I would start with a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. With this size tank you could keep a few other tankmates and the lion. Lionfish produce a lot of waste so a protein skimmer, canister or wet/dry filter and live rock will be necessary.

Sounds good. I will not be able to start up this project for another few months but I wouldn't mind buying the small stuff now - although I'm willing to pet its going to be getting expensive with all the filters, live rock, etc. Sam; when you say a minimum of 30 gallons (which I intend to go a little larger) you say I can keep a few tank mates, what if I don't go any larger and just say 30 is enough, when the lion fish tank mates grow bigger will I have to part with them or need a bigger tank anyways? That's what I'm assuming but wasn't sure. Would the lion fish be happier alone or with tank mates - or does it not matter? Thanks for your time, consideration, and advice!

-David

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
It depends on the tankmates. If you have a Clark clown that grows 4inches long you won't need a bigger tank for it, but a baby miniata grouper will need a 200 gallon tank. Just make sure the lion can't eat eat them and they don't grow ridiculously big.

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
My appologies S.Reef, I jumped a little quickly. It's just an old peeve that has nothing to do with anyone around here. There's a lot of opinions that can be translated into fact in the aquarium hobby, and some of them just aren't right. What you did point out was on the head though. Again, my appologies.

Stratus: something to keep in mind when dealing with lionfish, is that they're extremely dossile. Most of the time you'll find them just hanging mid range or hiding in a cave. I firmly believe you can add just about anything to the tank as a buddy, keeping in mind that if it fits in your lion's mouth, it's going to end up dinner.

Regardless of the species you choose, they're beautiful, majestic creatures. You won't be dissapointed.

Sounds great thanks to the both of you Sam & Nutfarm (hah, wish I knew your name) but anyhow, I was wondering if I could put a lionfish in a 44 gallon bow front with a tang, and a couple of clark clown fish (clowns because I like them not so much because Sam said so)...lol, but if the clark species don't get too large then that's what I want too. And maybe two lil' damsels? Or is that pushing it? Thanks guys!

-David

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
I'm honestly not sure about the clark clowns. I believe they get big enough that you'd be pushing your luck by adding more than one, but someone more familiar with them is bound to speak up. As for the tang, their size and dimeaner(sp) fit perfectly with that of a lion. I think it would be an excellent addition.

Damsels... your lion will thank you for these and be begging for more within a couple of days. Lions LOVE damsels :)

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
Myself? I'd add two tangs, but I think technically it would be a bit much. Depending on what you get for tangs, some require quite a bit of swimming space. They also tend to be a bit hateful toward other tangs, so sometimes it just doesn't work out. My personal opinion, and it's just that... two would be ok, but three would be a huge overkill.

Back to the damsels though, they're great for cycling tanks. The other fish you're considering are all larger and will put more of a strain on a new setup, while damsels will ease your system to life. It's a personal preferance of mine I guess, but I've always believed a damsel should be the first fish to hit the water. Just know ahead of time, if you go with damsels, eventually they're going to be dinner for a very happy lion.

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
How fast your tank cycles depends on far too many factors for anyone to make a truely educated guess. Live rock/sand can speed things along, but you're looking at a couple weeks at least. It's really no differant than freshwater when you take things to the basic level. First you add someone, they crap up your tank, and the nitrogen cycle gets underway. The only way you'll truely know your tank is ready is by purchasing (and using) a test kit.

As it's been said hundreds of times, probablly more than that... start small, be patient. Add slowly and pay attention. I would go beyond that to point out that when you add your lion you may want to pay extra attention to the nitrite levels. I'm not familiar with smaller tanks, therefore it's just caution on my part.

Also... if you do end up getting two tangs, make sure you get two of the same size, species shouldn't matter much, and add them at the same time. Give em equal grounds to start on and things will most likely go much smoother.