Oceanic Stand Failure-Black-175 G Tank

Jul 22, 2009
I have had an Oceanic tank for over 5 years. As most know, you are required to buy their stand to be covered under their warranty. So,I spend the $$$$ and bought it in Black. About 6 months after had the stand and tank combo, the stand started swelling after it got wet. It has continued to swell to the point just before catastrophic failure. I noticed that the material that the stand is made out of appears to be fiberboard. They say that you must have stand to be covered under their warranty, but it just does not seem to hold up. I was wanting to know if anyone else has any similar experiences with any oceanic stands?

BTW: Keep checking back as I will post pictures of the mess later.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
No, i had this problem with another brand.. but those fiberboard/melamin aren't very cool when you have a SW tank. The glue on the corners, wich retains the melamin sheets open up with the pressure and heat, then the salt and water gets in...the water evaporate after a while, but the salt doesn't. Result : Puffy stand. Also it becomes a vulnerability since the presswood needs the melamin or else it'll eventually snap. Presswood/fiberboard used for aquarium isn't a good option IMO. The manufacture it in China for a ridiculous price with low density material and we're stuck once the tank is fully running. Oceanic is reputed, so contact them.. dunno once i had a problem with Giesemann, they changed my balast for free, even after the warranty expired...who knows..

Last edited:

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
Probably MDF which can be laminated with various materials such a Melamine or even real wood veneers. MDF is stronger than wood or even plywood but is vulnerable to water absorption and if there is a spill near something made from MDF, the MDF will wick up all the liquid, swell and eventually fail. It also outgasses formaldehyde and IMHO should be banned from all consumer products.

Hopefully you will be able to get yoru money back.

Jul 22, 2009
Here is my $2000 stand that they made me buy to be covered under warrant, used it for just 5 years!!! Screw Oceanic, I am custom building my own. I will keep you posted on my fabrications, but let me know what you all think about this?

Last edited:

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
:eek:OMG!!!!!!!!!! You weren't kidding!

There are some great threads on the forum about constructing a fish stand. Sometimes you're better off building your own so you know what it's constructed from rather than having this unfortunate situation...!