octipus

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
to have something very smart in your tank is pretty risky.

u would need to install a eggcrate hood to hold them in.

and when they get old your going to need to "put in down" or else i'll decay in your tank and cause a huge ammo spike...it was something to do with its protein rich body.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i agree they should probally be left in the ocean however i have seen them at the lfs.. the guy had one in a nano cube with just a few pieces of LR it was pretty cool to watch him eat

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
my sister's boyfriend's dad is a middle school science teacher, and i guess he had one in his classroom one year (i know he has a SW tank at home, so he's got some experience).. apparently, one night, it escaped from its tank, unscrewed a jar across the room and got some worms or something out of it, and then made it back to its tank by morning... i thought that was a really crazy story (not that i have any proof its true, lol)!

on another note, i remember seeing the thread on nanoreef.com, and i think the guy said he had it in a 3 gallon tank and others told him that was way too small. let us know how your research goes!!

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
There was several decent articles on keeping octos (more specifically, Octopus bimaculoids) in the magazine Tropical Fish Hobbyist over the past few months. Depending on the species, you can do one in a rather small aquarium say 30-40 gallons no problem. Plenty of hiding spaces, interesting objects to play with, attention, and a good diet and water chemistry is what they need. Tops made of eggcrate wouldn't be a good idea as the octos are usually small enough to slip through without much effort, a very tight fitting glass top might work, as you suggested. Unfortunately they only live roughly a year though, depends on the species, if you're successful. Another potential problem is alot of octos come in with very general labels so you might not really know what you're getting... that would be a top priority when selecting a specimen, try to get a more accurate I.D. You might want to try an Octopus bimaculoides (commonly known as "bimacs") as there is information about them online, etc. and some people tend to have success with the species.

If you take the time to do research and set the tank up correctly, meeting their special needs, and thats all you want is the octopus, I'd say go for it.

Last edited:

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
just for fun...

playing with an octoput is fun. they're really smart and strong. at the aquarium i used to work at, we'd put his food in a jar and let him open it up and had to socialize with it daily. PERSONALLY i'd never keep one at home.

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
wow thanks for all the info guys, i didnt get an email saying there was a reply so its been a while. i would be making the tank just for the octo. i would like to get a small one for sure. i think it would be cool. just would have to figure out some sort of filter so it dont get sucked up.