Odd Betta Behavior?

Aug 29, 2007
Hello. Got a little question as this is my first betta, and I'd like to be the best mommy possible, sooo....

When I first brought Mango home, he was very happy to be out of the cup. He's in a 2.5 gallon tank with colorful pebbles from the fish store and lots of silk plants to lay in and a tunnel toy. For the first few weeks, he was happy and ate lots of food and swam all around the tank and loved his little tunnel.

Two weeks ago I brought him to work because the Boss's kid had a Betta named Fishy and since they were all on vacation, Fishy became the office pet. Well, I brought my tank and they ended up on the same countertop, but far enough apart that we didn't think there would be a problem. They started flaring at each other a lot and most of the time we put a piece of paper between the two so they couldn't see eachother. He was at the office for a week.

Now that he's back home, all he does is swim back and forth along the back of his tank. He doesn't lay in the plants anymore, he doesn't use his tunnel, and he doesn't even eat as much as he used to...where he would eat 4-5 Hikari pellets twice a day, now he barely gets two in before spitting them back out.

Have I done something awfully wrong by bringing him around another betta in another tank? What can I do to fix it? I don't see any fin rot or velvet or anything like that... so I don't think he's sick... unless these are symptoms of something else. Any help? I feel awful that he's not the same as he used to be...

-Brittany

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Bettas are typically pretty bratty when change happens. Is your water quality good? Moving the tank around alot causes stress, and Im sure he didnt like it very much.

Aug 29, 2007
Just checked water quality. Nitrate/nitrite = 0, but ammonia is .25. PH is 7.2. I know that any ammonia is bad for him, but I just can't seem to ever get ammonia to 0. I'll do a 50% water change and even a 100% change to lower the levels but it somehow finds its way back up to .25. I've never seen it higher than that, though. I check levels every other day. What am I doing wrong?

I'm a little crazy when it comes to water quality. Every evening I go into his tank with a turkey baster and suck up any poop or food particles he may have spit out. I skim the top of the water to keep the film off that the food sometimes puts on. He gets a full water change every week and when I change the water I rinse the pebbles in hot water so no gooky film gets on them and I also rinse his tunnel for the same reason. Am I too extreme?

He's just such a pretty, blue/green betta with the most gracefully long fins and I think I might be going over protective!

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
From the sounds of it, you're not letting the tank cycle properly. Dont take out the gravel because thats what holds onto the beneficial bacteria. Read some of the cycling stickies on the forum here. They should answer alot of questions
Good Luck

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
he had a friend aso and now he doesn't, might just be lonely. I would leave the tank alone also. Do you have a filter on it? Youmight invest in a small one for it so that you don't have tochange it and fiddle with it.
I have a 2.5 gal at work with a filter and change the tank maybe every 3-4 months...