oh no? Herman looks really sick...

herman

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2004
canada
Visit site
Hi Guys, I've had my betta, Herman, for awhile now and the past couple of days all he has been doing in sitting on the bottom of his bowl. Sometimes i find him laying on his side at the bottom or side of the bowl. When he finally makes it to the top, he eats normally. His colour is the same and his scales look fine. His water quality has always been good but i have done water changes since, just incase... but nothing will help..

is he sick? can i help him? i almost feel sick thinking about the poor little guy.
i really hope someone can help me get him back to himself...

thanx in advance everyone.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sounds like he's bored or that the temperature is too low in his bowl. Someone else might have an idea, but thats what I'd say. What happened to moving him to a tank? When was the last time you changed his water?

Edit: forgot to add that my betta perks up instantly if I feed him some live food like mosquito larvae or a bug or a guppy fry. I'm sure he'd do the same with brine shrimp or bloodworms or a little earthworm...so if you have anything like that you might try feeding him something different than his normal food.

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
From what I have gathered from many sources bettas tend to show this as a sign of cold water temperature, like froggy said. I believe their slow movements and listlessness if probably a way to conserve energy. They only really move to eat. This is how cold water fish like koi respond during the cold winter months. They are very inactive and go long periods of time without eating. I would recommed heating up the tank. If you can't fit a heater in then try a heat pad. They sell these at most stores that carry reptiles and the one we have heats our hermit crab tank to 81 degrees which would be perfect for a betta.

dss2004 said:
From what I have gathered from many sources bettas tend to show this as a sign of cold water temperature, like froggy said. I believe their slow movements and listlessness if probably a way to conserve energy. They only really move to eat. This is how cold water fish like koi respond during the cold winter months. They are very inactive and go long periods of time without eating. I would recommed heating up the tank. If you can't fit a heater in then try a heat pad. They sell these at most stores that carry reptiles and the one we have heats our hermit crab tank to 81 degrees which would be perfect for a betta.

I thought that was the problem too but the thermometer on the tank says its at 78 degrees. The other fish in the tank are pretty active. I dont know what is going on. :(

Mar 11, 2003
Check out the thread called "Fish Fleas" I think your betta is trying to "stratch" his body on the gravel. This is a sign of velvet, and I have discussed this on that thread so it will be helpful to you.

Alexa