oh what to do

denden

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
shreve, ohio
www.dtw.mymagicwand.com
my wife brought home 2 male bettas yesterday i really don't know much about the bettas other then THE RULE they need there own tank or bowl. this is the story they have had 6 or 8 at the bank most of the bowls had algea bad and aparently no one wanted to clean them there so they just gave them to the employees that wanted them so she took 2 cause they are smalllol. one is cream with blue fins and sort of a purple splash the other is deep red i'll post pics later i think i'm gonna set up both 10 gallon tanks for them what should i add to make them happy fish? they look very sad to me i hope i can make them a happy home :) give me advice please and pray that she dose not bring home anymore lol

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
They look like your average store betta.

A 10g for each would make them very happy. You could set them up in a 3g or 5g each. If you go for 10g tanks, you could add some cories, perhaps. In general, they like it warm (78-80F), but aren't too picky about pH, etc. They love bloodworms or betta pellets, but make sure you don't overfeed them.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Very pretty bettas :D

Mine love to swim thru things so I have lots of holey rocks and wood for them. One of my bettas has his favorite rock cave (which is acutally a petrified peice of wood.) Adding plants really prings out their colors too.

I feed mine betta granuals in the mornings and they get a blood worm at night. They both eat the worms right from my fingers.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Thumbs up

Congrats on giving them a super home! *thumbsups

A ten gallon with a divider is the best way to go. Remember to keep the water warm, a warm betta is a active betta. Also remember to cycle.

BTW the bettas are very pretty, especially the blue guy!

tydirian

Medium Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I am not a big fan of tank deviders for betas. I have seen a beta kill itself fighting with the guy on the other side of the plastic by braining himself. I guess you might be ok in a 10g if there were rocks, fish, and plants to help break up the space.

Like Tydirian, i think, was trying to say, the best way to use dividers is to cover up either sides of the divider with lots of plants, and hideouts, etc! It'll make it less noticeable and the tank look so much better! I think it's only REALLY aggressive Bettas who would bash their brains fighting into a divider... never seen it myself, before! lol

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Or just make the divider out of something that isn't transparent?

Bettas don't like current much, so UGF's are great or a HOB thats turned down or has some stuff in front of the output to break up the flow of the water.

Be careful not to get any decorations that they can get up inside of. They DO like swimming through things...but they're not too great at backing out of things and you hear stories about them getting stuck inside of decorations.

Congrats on the new additions :)

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
lol would this occur with rams... i had 2 males... when ever they see each other they try to bash each other up, lucklily one of them is in the breeding tank... breeding obviously! but once when i was doing a big clean on the breeding tank i had to take them out so i kept them in a bag in the 30G just to keep the temp right but the other male came up to the male and kept bashing each other in.. why do they even do this ? if we see someone of the same sex we dont go up to them and start fighting with them ??? lol