Ohh Crap!! I need help.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Hi all. My 55 gal. tank has H. Rasboras and F.J.Corys and a few Cardnials. My cardnials I added a few days ago after a period in the QT. I now suspect ick from my cardnials. I have coppersafe on hand for this. My water reads 0 amm, 0 nitrites, and 10 nitrates. Just did a water change yesterday. My questions is what do I take out of my filter? I have the bio-wheel with a sponge and carbon and biomax in it. And of course the wheels. I will use coppersafe for one month and use it with all replacement water for one month. Could I leave the bio max in the filter? Thanks in advance for your help. Can't believe I have an ick problem in my tank. Was being real careful. Darn it.
Tina

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
well, im not too sure how the bio wheel works, but you cant have the medication being stopped through the filter.... what i did(with my tetra whisper) i took out my complete filter cartridge....it worked... so u might want to try taking the wheel off... but then again it might not be the "RIGHT" way... but im pretty sure it would work just fine....

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
1 teaspoon per 4 gallons of water. WOW 14 teaspoons. I also read that if the sponge is over 6 days old it will be fine. So that takes care of the wheel. I guess I will remove everything else. Thank you . More ideas will be great also.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
When i purchased my ich killer it sayed to do frequent water changes. This may be true, but what you got to remember the more you change the water, the more of the medication is being taken out the tank that is killing the ich. so what i did was apply the medication, and did a water change a day later. then after that change, i slowly kept applying more medication starting with one teaspoon then kept adding more. this is what I did and dont want you to kill the fish. its just what worked for me and it COULD work for you too... ohhhhh yah, when the ich is off all the fish, it doesn't mean they are cured, it means the disease is in the water and needs to still be killed.... but after a week or two of no ich signs, your all good.

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Hope your fish do well! Also, if you have a heater make sure to turn the heat up a little. It'll help speed up the cycle of the ich (It'll also weaken it and make the coppersafe more effective.)

80+ should be good. Remember to do it slowly, and when you lower it do it even more slowly. Oh yes, you NEED to up your aeration if you can, Ich can hurt the gills of fish making it hard for them to breathe!

Good luck!

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
I did turn up the bubble wall but not the heater. Coppersafe directions said no need to. But thanks a lot for your imput. I did lose one cardinal but the H. Rasboras all seem to be ok. I think I caught it pretty fast so we will see. I will keep u posted. Thanks again. Tina